Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: severe engorgement

Default severe engorgement

Hello, I am new to this forum as my daughter is only 6 days old today. My milk came in 3 days ago and with it came engorgement as you'd expect. What I didn't expect was that it would get worse, rather than better. I heard 24 to 48 hours was when engorgement would lessen up. I seem to be getting more and more engorged instead of less and less. My daughter is on a fairly regular schedule (hers, not mine) of feeding for about 15 to 20 minutes every 1-1/2 to 2 hours. At the end of each feeding, there is still a decent amount of engorgement remaining, though there is MUCH less pressure than before hand. She is a bit colicky at night with about 3 hours of crying and restlessness sometime between 10pm and 3am. But always has at least 2 good feedings thru the night. She ate 11 times total in the last 24 hour period.

Is it ok for me to pump my breasts after she is done eating to relieve the remaining pressure? Or will I fool my body into thinking the milk demand is greater than it really is, thereby makeing the problem even worse?

Note: I feed her from one side per feeding. For example at her last feeding she drank from my left breast and at her next feeding I'll feed her from the right. (Not sure if that info will change any advise you might have for me) I am doing it this way to ensure that she gets to the "hind milk" and also to empty each breast as much as possible at each feeding. She is having at least 4 yellow seedy BM's each 24 hrs at this point and as many wet diapers, so I'm fairly sure she is drinking enough at each meal.

Any advice you can give me would be very welcome. I have heard that extended, severe engorgement can cause milk production to stop and I really don't want to have that happen.

Thank you very much in advance!

Default Re: severe engorgement

i took this link from another thread. hope it helps. http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/engorgement.html

the best way i found to reduce the engorgement was to offer both breasts at every feeding. i fed very often,too. offering the breast every 1.5 to 2 hours, even through the night. i did this until the engorgement passed.

once dd was a couple of weeks old, i began offering her just one breast at each feeding to balance the hind mik/ foremilk.

your body should be adjusting to your baby's demands soon. if not, perhaps you should call your ob-gyn as there may be an underlying problem.

take care

Welcome bobindy! Congrats on your new arrival!

Unless you have a history of oversupply, it's not a bad idea to feed on both sides, or at least offer the other breast at every feed. The key to decreasing engorgement is removal of milk so that the blood and lymph in the breast will have room to move out.

If you still feel uncomfortably full after feeding, then yes, you should remove just enough milk for comfort.

You can find more info in the FAQ Maya's Mom posted above and here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...gorgement.html (not LLL resource)

Have you called your local LLL Leader and/or IBCLC?

If you have more questions/concerns, please do not hesitate to ask.

Hi Bobindy,

I had this with one of my children and I found the following helped.

1. Taking a warm shower, massaging the breast and letting the milk drip
    freely.

2. Taking some cold cabbage and placing it on the breast.

Hope this helps .

- Lina.

Thanks for your responses! I will try these and see how the work. I will also contact my LLL leader to see about meetings and possibly a home visit.