Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush

Default Thrush

I think I may have thrush after reading the symptoms someone posted on this link:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...tNov98p91.html

For the past week, I have had excuciating pains in my left breast, like sharp stabbing pains in my nipples and then also deep in the breast. It kills when clothes go any where near them. I had thought that maybe we all of a sudden had poor latching but we were doing so well up until then (dd is 6 weeks) so I was skeptical. The wiedest part was that all these little pimple like blisters started appearing on my arms. Thats when I started to suspect thrush.

I currently don't have a doctor and am trying to find one to go to. but in the mean time, what should I do? I know the article said to wash and sterilize everything. Are there foods I should eat or avoid? I would love to hear from others who had this and what their experiences were.

Thanks!
    Diana

Default Re: Thrush

i just spoke with my ob/gyn and he said thrush of the nipples doesn't exist. has anyone else heard this?

Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    i just spoke with my ob/gyn and he said thrush of the nipples doesn't exist. has anyone else heard this?
    One of the midwives at the place I go, who called me back when I called about our thrush and needing medication, said that technically the baby has thrush and I have "nipple yeast."

Cynthia

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Diana - Are you getting any sort of treatment or are you doing any sort of at home treatment for your yeast infection? While it may not technically be called thrush if it's with the Mommy, it is definitely possible to have a yeast infection of the breast...

You might want to print out the LLL information you found online and take it with you to either your OB or your general practitioner.

Jacqui

Quote Originally Posted by Diana

Some doctors do not believe that there is evidence that proves a link between nipple/deep breast pain and candida (thrush) infections. Dr. Hale, researcher and author of Medications and Mothers' Milk elaborates on this thread in his forum:
    http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages...tml?1127974336

That being said, just because the scientific proof of breast candida infections is scant, I don't think that the anecdotal (non-scientific) evidence lies. So, my best suggestion is to take the Leaven article you read (the footnotes are research articles) to the doctor of your choice and ask for treatment for you AND your baby.

If you'd like more resources, LMK and I'll post some for you!