Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Change in supply?

Unhappy Change in supply?

My daughter will be 5 months old tomorrow. Her weight has been in the 50% and up each well visit. On Friday and today (Monday) I have not been able to nurse her at 11am. She has been on the same feeding schedule for about 2.5 months (6:30a, 9a, 11a, 2p, 5p, 6:30p and then whatever she needs at night). On Friday she was very fussy and I didn't seem to have enough milk. I felt myself let down x 1. I didn't give her a bottle or anything and she went down for a nap and was fine until the 2p feeding. The 2p feeding went fine. She nursed for over 20 mins which is a long time for her. Today, she was fussy at the breast even though I let down x 1. I freaked out and thawed some milk I have stored at her daycare. She took the bottle but seemed distracted and not real interested in eating. After she ate a little from the bottle I tried to nurse her again, thinking that she may have calmed down after getting some in her belly and would be more patient for the let down. But she wasn't.
    I nurse her on the same schedule over the weekends and we did not have any trouble (although now that I think about it I gave her a bottle on Sunday for the 11a feeding because we were at church. But I always do that and have not had trouble in the past).
    I have always been real concerned about having enough milk etc. and just when I get comfortable and trust my body it seems to not do what it is suppose to. I've had to give her a bottle 3 times in the evening due to low supply, but that is over her whole life time.
    I just get frustrated and sad. She's also started not sleeping very well at night so I'm tired and that makes it even worse. I think that she is just not being real patient for the let down. I try to relax and deep breath and sometimes stroke her cheek but it didn't really help on Friday or today.
    Maybe this doesn't make sense, like I said I'm tired and sad.
    Any thoughts or suggestions?

Default Re: Change in supply?

I think I have figured out what the problem is. I think my daughter is getting inpatient for my let down. How do I calm her so she can stimulate my breast to activate the let down reflex or how can I get my reflex to be quicker? I have tried everything as far as deep breathing and trying to stay relaxed, warm, comfortable etc.

Have you tried either massaging your breasts or pumping for a couple of minutes until your letdown happens?

Hang in there. Have you tried drinking some Mother's Milk tea right before or during nursing? That always helps me when I am having trouble with slow let down (usually when I am stressed or not feeling well). I get it at my reg grocery store. Also, try a nursing nexklace. Might give her something to look at play with while she is waiting and not get so impatient. Just a though