Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what to introduce first

Default what to introduce first

I've ready a lot lately about people giving bananas when they first introduce solids. I was always told to introduce veggies first, otherwise they wouldn't eat them if they tasted the sweet fruits. Is it something new to offer bananas? Have any of you had trouble getting your lo to eat veggies?

Default Re: what to introduce first

I was one that introduced bananas first and my DD will eat any vegetable that I give her. I think the whole veggies before fruit thing is just a myth. Especially considering that breastmilk is sweet and your baby has already been getting a taste of fruit through your milk to begin with.
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~

Here's a page from the LLL site with lots of "starting solids" links . Her's more LLL pages regarding First foods and complimentary foods link that may help you .

Here's another from kellymom on First Foods

Here's a quote from that page :

Moms are often told that vegetables should be introduced before fruits "so baby doesn't develop a sweet tooth." Keep in mind that breastmilk is quite sweet! Some experts suggest that fruit may be a good first food for a breastfed baby since the taste is closer to that of breastmilk - baby may be more likely to enjoy this new and novel experience if the taste isn't so unfamiliar. Also, since birth baby has been tasting different flavors as they are passed through into mom's milk - many feel that this ever-changing flavor of breastmilk is likely to make breastfed babies more likely to enjoy the varying tastes of solids and less likely to be picky eaters in the long run.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks so much guys!

avacado was our first and still a staple at 11 months....
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

I started with sweet potatoes last weekend. They are sweet and colorful . DS loved them after a few days, I couldn't get him to stop eating them yesterday.

I started my DD on fruits, applesauce, bananas ect...and she loves them, esp. applesauce. She isn't too crazy about her veges, but I am not sure if that is because I started fruit first, or she just honestly isn't crazy about veges. I have found out though that if, for example, I am going to give her carrots, avocado, and pears during one meal, that I had better offer the carrots first, otherwise she won't eat them...loves avocado though, yeah!