Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Extra extra long feeding

Default Extra extra long feeding

Hi,
    Well baby girl fed from 10:35pm to 1:30am last night . She slept though from 1:30am-ish to 6am. She is 1 week old. She likes to have me next to her, so we co-sleep, she wakes up when I put her to her crib on her back, and it seems like she like to suckle ALL the time! Help! Need some sleep! I think she drained me of a lot of milk!

Lynn (South Texas)

Default Re: Extra extra long feeding

This sounds normal for the first couple of months. Feedings start spacing out more at 6-8 weeks. Hang in there. It's worth it! Put a few movies in the VCR, grab a lot of water, and enjoy the time relaxing. You will never get it again. If you have a lot of other responsibilities, try getting a sling and master the art of nursing while walking.

Hi,
    Thank you! I have one of those Sling Eze slings. In fact, for the first time today, put her in it. I'll have to get the dvd out on the sling and figure out all the "moves". I just can't seem to get the hang of sleeping while she is sleeping bit.....Lynn

Congrats on your new arrival!

What you experienced last night is called cluster feeding. Many babies cluster feed before they go down for the night. The theory is that babies "tank up" for the night before their long stretch of sleep.

Do you have any particular questions about feeding frequency/spacing or ways to get more rest?

I know that I have heard many people say this! For myself, my daughter started those LONG feedings in the hospital. Although it's normal for many babies to do this, for us it was a sign of a problem. She would stay latched and suckle in a non-nutritive suck ALL THE TIME! Because of this, she cried constantly when away from the breast and didn't gain enough weight. I am not saying this to scare you! I would only worry about your little one if she doesn't gain enough weight. Make sure she has a good latch and is making good open mouth wide-take a pause-close mouth movements when she eats. It sounds like things are going ok though....sounds like you got a nice chunk of sleep in!!! Yay for sleep! Enjoy your new baby!!!

Wow. Now I wonder if I'm in trouble. My ds has never fed longer than 30 minutes, and that's when he is sleeping half the time, too. Am I doing something wrong? I haven't had any significant nipple soreness, so I'm pretty certain he is latching on properly. Why is his behavior so different from others?

Welcome to the joys of being a human pacifier! LOL I go through this at least once in a day. I'm thankful for it because it gives me a chance to relax instead of trying to do a million things at once. Like others have said, take advantage of it! If not, it's good practice for finding other ways to sooth your baby.

Having said that, make sure your baby isn't stocking up because of sporadic feedings. I know mine will do this if she had sparse feedings during the day. While I don't watch the clock, I am mindful of how often she gets fed. I usually listen to my boobs, as they'll tell me when she's due, which works out to be every 2 (3 at the most) hours. If I stay on this "schedule" then she is less likely to cluster feed in the evenings. Of course, it's up to HER when she wants to be fed, but this does help!

Also make sure that your baby is awake during those feedings to make the most of it. If you have a sleepy baby (like mine) they'll eat enough to be soothed then snooze, which doesn't fill their tummy so they end up hungry 20, 30, 60 minutes later. I finally had to strip my DD down to her diaper and use a damp wash cloth to keep her awake during a feeding. This helped A LOT because she actually filled her little tummy, which in turn made her more content.
    Last edited by North_Of_60; April 4th, 2006 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wlcmom
    Wow. Now I wonder if I'm in trouble. My ds has never fed longer than 30 minutes, and that's when he is sleeping half the time, too. Am I doing something wrong? I haven't had any significant nipple soreness, so I'm pretty certain he is latching on properly. Why is his behavior so different from others?

Hi there! Don't worry, every nursing relationship is different. Many babies will cluster feed, but you get the occasional efficient nurser who just gets down to business and is done. Every baby has different suck needs as well, and some will want to suck for comfort longer than others. If you're worried about whether your baby is getting enough to eat, here is a good article:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

Feel free to ask any other questions you might have!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!