Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What is your 12 month old eating?

Question What is your 12 month old eating?

My daughter is 12 months old and I was just wondering what some of ya'll were feeding their 12 month olds. I just read on a web site that 12 month olds should be feeding theirselves with a spoon, and I was wondering if I should try to teach her yet. Also, I have tried sippy cups, but all she will take is a bottle. I still nurse her at night, but during the day she gets bottles, mainly at naptime. I am worried about her not getting her juice. Another question! She is hooked to the bottle at naptime, and I have read the No Cry Sleep Solution, and being a full time working mother, I don't know if I can do that. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on weaning her off a naptime and bedtime bottle. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: What is your 12 month old eating?

My technique for getting my DS to learn to feed himself is to just keep offering. First he'll play, then he'll start using the tool himself. This is what I did with the cup, and what I'm doing with the spoon. I think it would be worth the shot with the sippy cup, and also, try a few different brands. I had to start DS on the ones that are made by the First Years without a valve that are supposed to be "throw aways" because the cups with the valves were too hard for him to suck hard enough to get anything out. (I threw out my Playtex cups because even I couldn't get anything out!) Now he's using the Avent cups, which have handles and the valve on them isn't so hard he can't get anything out. But again, he played with the cup for a few months before he started drinking enough out of it to really be called a drink.

As far as what he's eating, DS (who is 12 months TODAY ) basically eats everything that I eat, with some modifications like unsalted (but not unseasoned!) foods. You worry about your baby getting juice, but juice is not a necessary food. Baby can get all the nutrition in juice from eating the whole fruit! My LO only gets juice when I am trying to push fluids, and even then it is watered down. Plus, if your LO gets "hooked on juice" so to speak, it can go the other way and they can take in too many calories from the juice and not have room in their tummies for other foods.

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions for you on weaning the naptime bottles. I lucked out and DS didn't develop any of those bedtime rituals (pacifier, blankie, bottles, etc.) so I haven't had the joy and heartbreak of trying to phase those out.

My DS is just one year old. He is pretty much starting to refuse baby food. Who wouldn't after seeing what I'm eating at the table.lol

DS eats three square meals a day, and nurses 4 times. We eat together. Typical day is

---Up at 8-Nurse...

---Walk out to kitchen and I begin to prepare breakfast.
    1/2-3/4 cup oatmeal mixed with prunes or apples or bananas (try to mix it up)
    1/2 mini whole wheat bagel
    small handful of cheerios
    1/4 c of fruit or yogurt

---Lunch
    1/2 rice cake
    4-6 oz baby food AND/OR Handful of cheese AND/OR Earth's Best Vanilla Cookies (organic) AND/OR Yogurt

---Nurse Before Nap

---Nurse again around 5ish

---Dinner at 6:30 ish
    1/2 turkey patty or chicken (every other day or third day meat)
    (whatever vegetable we are having at the dinner table)
    Half of a potato or brown rice (again whatever we are eating)
    Some baby food if he'll take it

---Nurse/bottle before bed

I did try to see if DS was interested in using a spoon.....not so much.I just try once in a while and see what he does. I typically put cut up food onto his tray and he'll eat it that way.

Oh and just for measurements....LO has always been in or around the 10th percentile and now weighs right around 20lbs. He has been walking for 2 months so he burns what he eats fasssssssssst....food needs to accomidate it!
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

warning! MAMMOTH POST, APOLOGIES, PLEASE SKIP IF YOU ARE SHORT ON TIME!
    aaggghhh!! my 12 month old girl Gypsy-Snow is a nightmare at eating, this will make you all feel great about your babes!

she just turned 1 on March 1st and I started weaning her onto solids at 5 months, following Health Visitors advice (she was sitting up and nightwaking every 3 hours rather than her usual 5/6 hours - I have since worked out that this was not an indicator that she was ready for solid food, but more likely just the developmental change that was causing the night waking -SHE HAS SINCE NEVER GONE BACK TO SLEEPING 5/6 HOURS) anyway the first couple of weeks she took to veg and fruit puree like a duck to water, and spat out baby rice, but after that and periodically she has struggled a lot. She has only ever liked totally pureed smooth food, has never liked anything I have made her, so it has been all jars/cartons and frozen organic no nasties baby food, with teh exception of pear apricot and apple purees that I give her and add to yogurt and porridge.

ogh god sorry this is turning into long post, but I have been feeling so stressed about it all, and I know probably with no good reason. Gypsy has alwasy been fantastic at breastfeeding, and her weight gain proves it, each time she was taken to be weighed she seemed to jump up through teh centile lines on teh chart, the health visitors would alwasy assume she was formula fed, and I had to tell them no, she was born weighing 6lb 14ozs and now weighs 28 lb's, she has just hit teh top centile line on teh weight chart 99.6 having been born on teh 25th, and I know it is not teh food she has been eating as she hardly eats.

a typical day is:

wakes at 7am
    at 8am offer fruit puree, or a baby rice fruit puree mix or very thin oatmeal porridge mixed with fruit puree, she usually eats about 100grams.

if she goes for a sleep in the morning I often nurse her before, but not always.

12-1.30 Lunch - she now mostly refuses any jar food, I keep trying with the lumpier variety but she either refuses or just eats a few mouthfuls and then refuses, we get in a cycle of me trying differemnt things but each subsequent food she eats less of. she used to eat about 120gm of savoury jar food and then about teh same of fruit puree or yogurt, but for teh last month she is only eating half that.

2.30-3.30 nap, with nursing if I haven't nursed her earlier in the morning

5-6 supper, she definitely won't eat jar food (or my own homemade, I have tried many times) in teh evening so she usually has a wheat crispbread with butter, about 1/4 avocado, 2 thin slices of cheddar cheese and some smoked or poached salmon, very small amount or maybe about two chopped up cherry tomatoes. mealtimes usually take 1 hour but can take 1.5 hours, it's a long slow drawn out process involving me singing dancing, distracting and bribing, I give her baby organic crisp snacks which she likes in exchange for a mouthful of real food.
    she usually has abourt 50g, of yogurt or fruit puree after supper, she now likes banana but it constipates her really badly. she loves dried fruit but takes forever (30 mins) to eat one apricot or strip of mango, with lots of gagging and sometimes vomiting.

7/8pm bed, nursed to sleep. then she wakes at
    10pm and nurses
    1/2am wakes and nurses, on a good night she will go back to sleep but about 1/3 of the time it takes about 1-1.5 hours to get her off
    5am, wakes and nurses, this time usually hardest to get her back off to sleep.

so she drinks my lovely fattening homemade milk all night ( I am the 24 hour milk bar) and mostly refuses food all day.

I don't know whether to try and offer her more breast milk during the day in order to close down the nightime milk bar - I am exhausted, we don;t co-sleep, she is in her own room, has alwasy hated being in our bed since very tiny. But I am scared if I offer her more milk during teh day then she will refuse food altogether.

she seems to have a slowly improving problem chewing and swallowing food, for a long time she vomited every meal, usually all teh food from the day, just because she wanted to eat what we had, we alwasy let her try, but usually with bad results!
    we have visited teh GP twice but they say some babes are just slower at developing those skills than others

I've run out of steam, can't think of anything else to add, so hope your 1 year olds are better eaters than Gypsy-Snow!

This answer is specific to gillpinch's post:

I read through your post, and it sounds like your LO doesn't want to eat the pureed jarred food anymore...or at least not much of it? And that she has some problems eating table food, as its a little difficult for her and she gags/throws up sometimes? It sounds like she might have a very sensitive gag reflex...some babies do, and I've only ever heard that they do grow out of it, and DO learn to eat more solids.

Are there finger foods that she does eat without much difficulty?

My youngest son will turn one this weekend, and he only eats table foods...although we don't add salt to any veggies that we cook, and we avoid dairy (until this week) do to a family history of dairy allergies.

Some of my son's favorite finger foods, are well cooked green beans, pasta (small non-chokable sized shapes), pasta with sauce...tomato sauce usually, tiny pieces of well cooked chicken (seperated a bit), oatmeal (plain or mixed with applesauce or cooked with chopped blueberries), crackers (ones that "melt" easily, as LO only has 2 teeth, LOL), strips of buttered toast, very thin slices of banana, raisin halves, well cooked carrot round halves, cereal like cheerios, mashed potatoes, and rice (not the cereal, the cooked rice itself)

Have you tried just scattering some of your dinner on her tray, cut up very small, and let her feed herself...no matter how long it takes her to chew up her food? Maybe if she's in control of what goes in her mouth, and when, it will make eating easier for her....although some foods do really need a spoon...like applesauce for instance.

Finally, I believe its pretty normal for toddlers to NOT eat very much at meals. Some of my son's meals (both of my sons actually ) can be pretty small. Sometimes just a few of tablespoons at a sitting, plus some finger foods. Considering your daughter's weight gain, its obvious that she's very healthy, so I wouldn't worry too much, unless she doesn't seem to increase her solid food intake in the next few months.
    Last edited by Mommie of 2; March 12th, 2007 at 03:24 PM. Reason: added first sentence.

Hmm, my 13month old hasn't started the spoon yet, but he likes to play with it. I thought I read that they don't have the dexterity for a while yet. He went through a phase where he would only feed himself, leading me on a search for finger foods. Now, I can get spoonfuls of soups or applesauce or baby food veggies in between him feeding himself.

His current favorite meals are meatloaf, to which I add shredded carrots, zucchini and/or spinach and mac and cheese, to which I typically add small pieces of ham and peas or maybe some chicken and carrots or something. And I'll make it with whole wheat pasta. I think I could put anything in mac & cheese and he'd scarf it down.

He also unfortunatelly loves those Gerber graduates pasta pick up meals. Sigh. We were (and still partly are) without a kitchen when we moved to the new house. It wasn't a convenient time for him to stop eating jarred food! I'd rather him have something less processed, but we're still searching for other dependable things he'll eat.

But he eats a lot! I really think he'll be eating me out of house and home soon. He has three good meals a day and one or two snacks and currently nurses twice, although I think my milk is going so that may be over soon.

My daughter is 12 months old and I was just wondering what some of ya'll were feeding their 12 month olds.
    Everything...except for the main allergenic ones that you need to wait until age 2 or 3 for...like strawberries, peanuts, peanut butter, and other nuts and seafood.

I just read on a web site that 12 month olds should be feeding theirselves with a spoon, and I was wondering if I should try to teach her yet.
    I don't think the website meant that your 12 mo. old could be effectively using the spoon, but that she could start to learn. My LO loves to use the spoon himself, but he is very messy, and its a great skill for them to learn.

Also, I have tried sippy cups, but all she will take is a bottle.
    She doesn't have to use a sippy cup if she doesn't like them. Try letting her drink out of a small plastic regular cup. My son loves that and won't use a sippy cup at all. He loves water from a regular cup, although I do help him hold the cup...and he does get a little "moist" sometimes. I think with my son, he saw that everybody else uses a regular cup, and he wanted to also.

I still nurse her at night, but during the day she gets bottles, mainly at naptime. I am worried about her not getting her juice.
    She really doesn't need juice at all. Ped.s now don't usually even suggest that every baby has juice every day. Juice actually is very high in sugars, and doesn't have any of the fiber that you'd get from a piece of fruit, so it isn't the ideal source for vitamin C or anything. Try just making sure your daughter gets plenty of real fruit, and offer her water to drink in a cup if she's thirsty and isn't drinking breastmilk. Water with meals at this age (after 6 mos.) can actually aid in digestion, and is much healthier than offering juice (as long as baby is getting real fruit at other times).

Another question! She is hooked to the bottle at naptime, and I have read the No Cry Sleep Solution, and being a full time working mother, I don't know if I can do that. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on weaning her off a naptime and bedtime bottle. Thanks in advance!
    Sorry, no tips for weaning off the bottle, as we only breastfeed directly, but I would think that you'd first need to get your LO to accept the BM from a cup...or accept cow's milk from a cup...or eat alot of calcium rich foods that are high in good fats first before you start to wean off the bottle. Once you have that accomplished, you can work on naptime and bedtime routines that don't involve the bottle...or that if she does get the bottle, she gets it before she falls asleep. Sorry, that is such a difficult one, as with breastfeeding directly, there isn't BBTD or risk of malformed teeth from bottle use and all that, so I don't have alot of help with that one.

To Mommie of 2, thanks so much for your reply, it's really good to hear another Mother with a similar child, Gypsy eats thin slices of cheese, chunks of avocado, soft (melt in teh mouth) crackers, rice cakes, and smoked salmon or poached or steamed salmon. (I mostly have to feed her the salmon) she also loves satsumas but I have to peel the skin off each segment, which is time consuming, I keep meaning to buy some tinned mandarins as that would be easier.

I've tried giving her what I eat, and while she's happy to try it, if I give her a plate of bits she tends to just throw them on the floor.

I did think that she seems to have a very strong gag reflex, which other children her age and some a lot younger seem to have lost already, but it's good to know no-one has heard of that lasting long term. When I am thinking rationally and intellectually I know that she is fine, but food is such an emotive subject, and feeding your child seems like such a fundamental role, that if it doesn;t go on in textbook fashion then you start to panic that you are doing something wrong.

I guess the other thing is that she really hasn't mastered the pincer grasp yet and is still using teh palmer grasp, so I wonder if the gag reflex may go hand in hand with that?

can I ask do you think I should be forcibly trying to stop the nursing at night to make her hungrier during teh day, or shall I just let nature take it's course?

thanks

Gill

we are at 11 months yesterday....but close enough??
    for breakfast:
    multigrainbread/toast...yogurt...oatmeal...banannas...pears....pru nes...eggs
    lunch/dinner/snacks:
    chickpeas, lima beans, kidney beans, black beans, brown rice, potato, broccoli, carrots, avacado, cheese, black beans, spinach....pretty much anything i can find fresh or frozen organic with no salt added

for meat he has only had venison....i plan on doing chicken with him soon

he will only take a couple of bites off a spoon from me.....i put the food on it, he takes it and puts it in his mouth....although sometimes he just flings it....or bites the other end of the spoon...im working on letting him dip the spoon into the food himself....if i put yogurt on his tray he dips his spinach into it and eats it that way

we skipped bottles....and would like to skip sippys....he gets a small plastic cup with a handle....i put just a few sips at a time in it because he likes to Inhale water oh yeah, no juice for us...
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

can I ask do you think I should be forcibly trying to stop the nursing at night to make her hungrier during teh day, or shall I just let nature take it's course?
    IMO, I think that you should not try to night wean for that reason. I'm not saying you shouldn't night wean if you want too, I'm just not sure that night weaning in order to try to get your little one to be hungrier during the day will really work out for you. Since you mentioned that she still doesn't have the pincer grasp...and still has a pretty strong gag reflex, maybe you just need to wait it out a bit for a month or 2 and just see if she needs a bit more time to develop those skills.

If you're looking to have her eating more solids, maybe you should try nursing after meals instead of before. Usually its always Nurse first before solids for the first 12 mos., but maybe if you serve Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner before nursing, since she's older now, it will help a bit. After all, she is nursing at night too, so you know she's getting plenty of breastmilk. That's just a sugestion though, I don't know everything about your situation, so I can't say for sure that would be the right decision for you.

Another thing to think about, is that toddlers commonly don't eat very much...its really pretty normal, so if she's eating several tablespoons of solids for like 3 meals a day, she's probably just eating all that she needs. If you want to start weaning her, that would probably make her want more solids, but if you don't need to wean her right away, there isn't anything wrong with continuing just like you are since she's healthy and doing well.