Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Buy Organic Baby Food

Default Buy Organic Baby Food

A quote from the Dr. Sears Website...

Buying organic is especially important when it comes to baby foods. There seems to be an on- going label war on the jars of commercial baby food: "no salt," "no sugar," and "no preservatives," yet an important "no" is missing from the popular brands - no pesticides. Manufacturers claim that they have reduced pesticides far below the legal limit, and that's commendable, but not enough. Don't accept what's legal as being safe for yourself or your children. It makes no sense to eat cheap foods when you're young and pay high prices for medical problems when you're older. That's a bad investment. But isn't organic food so much more expensive? you may wonder. It depends upon what you mean by expensive. Yes, organic food costs more, primarily because the demand is so much less than for chemically-treated food. Yet in the long run, it's a great bargain. Suppose someone were to tell you that for a couple bucks extra a day you could lower your child's risk of getting cancer, losing a few brain cells, and maybe even living to see his own great grandchildren. Think of the extra expense as just a bit more health insurance.

A great site for organic baby food is http://www.earthsbest.com/
    Just in case you can not find a retailer by you!

Also read my previous link "The Dirty Dozen"

Knowledge is power...A great big to all you wonderful Moms'!!!!
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Default Re: Buy Organic Baby Food

Be careful of Earth's Best though. They are organic but many of thier items are still very high in sugar and some other undesirables.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

I did do some comparison shopping on the labels...Gerber Organics or Gerber period on average has 2x as much sugar in a jar of something in comparison to Earth's Best.

What "undesirables" are you referring to?

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

I think she means flour and eggs in some of the combo meals. that are geared for under 6 months..
    I don't do any jarred foods with my babies and have always made my own food for them, or they just eat table foods.

Gotcha. I probably make about 80% of DS's food and he is also eating alot of what we eat. I use the jarred food for backup if I find I am out of time...or food in the fridge =)

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    I think she means flour and eggs in some of the combo meals. that are geared for under 6 months..
    I don't do any jarred foods with my babies and have always made my own food for them, or they just eat table foods.
    Yeah, that is what I meant. I was also referring to more than just the jarred foods. I wasn't saying that they were worse than Gerber or any other brand- just that you can't assume they are all good because they are organic. Honestly, this is true of a lot of organics, baby food or not.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.