Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Dirty Dozen-Foods FULL of Pesticides

Default The Dirty Dozen-Foods FULL of Pesticides

Hello all.

As the warmer months approach...I would like to shed some light on the benefits of fruits and vegetables for all of us, especially our little ones. Did you know that when the USDA speaks of "safe" (whatever that means) levels of pesticides in our food, they are speaking in volumes for grown adults? These foods have dangerous amounts of pesticides for our little growing babies....and are dangerous for everyone...don't let them fool you.

Support your local farmers this year and every year by buying organic fruits and vegetables.. I will list the top 12 dirty dozen with the highest amount of pesticides and then list the cleanest 12. Keep in mind that "cleanest" means there is still a trace of them...

Dirty Dozen

Strawberries
    Bell Peppers
    Spinach
    Cherries
    Peaches
    Cantaloupe
    Celery
    Apples
    Apricots
    Green Beans
    Grapes
    Cucumbers

Potatoes is #13, but is also high in pesticide residue

See if this alarms you....

Strawberries consistently show high levels of fungicides. Two of these, captan and iprodione, are classified by the EPA as probable human carcinogens.

Peaches can contain a heavy dose of the cancer causing fungicides captan and iprodione, and the neurotoxic pesticide methyl parathion.

Celery is a major source of exposure to neurotoxic pesticides and the probable human carcinogen, chlorthalonil.

Green beans are also a major source of the cancer causing fungicides chlorthalonil and mancozeb, the neurotoxin methamidophos, and the endocrine disrupter endosulfan.

And we wonder why so many people get Cancer???

Cleanest 12

Avacados
    Corn
    Onion
    Sweet Potatoes
    Cauliflower
    Brussel Sprouts
    Grapes (US only)
    Bananas
    Plums
    Green Onion
    Watermelon
    Broccoli

Here is the link for more details on the dirty dozen

http://www.sdearthtimes.com/et0996/et0996s5.html

For all sorts of interesting information, here is a link for health news regarding food-there is ALOT of interesting reading here...get ready to be shocked!

http://www.sdearthtimes.com/ET_Index...T_SI_Diet.html

Here's to your health!
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Default Re: The Dirty Dozen-Foods FULL of Pesticides

Wow, that was really helpful! Thanks for sharing!!
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Smile Re: The Dirty Dozen-Foods FULL of Pesticides

As the warmer months approach...I would like to shed some light on the benefits of fruits and vegetables for all of us, especially our little ones. Did you know that when the USDA speaks of "safe" (whatever that means) levels of pesticides in our food, they are speaking in volumes for grown adults? These foods have dangerous amounts of pesticides for our little growing babies....and are dangerous for everyone...don't let them fool you.

I've known about the pesticides for years (my mom told me ...)but I've always been told that if you thoroughly wash (not just rinse...but wash under either very light soapy water or that fruit wash stuff) fresh fruits and veggies, that you can greatly reduce or totally eliminate those pesticides/fungicides.

Have you heard if the pesticide levels in the "dirty dozen" are levels from the interior of the fruit or veggie?...or the exterior unwashed skin?

Some fruits/vegetables will benefit from a mild soap/water rinsing. From my research, it will rinse a small portion of it away, but pesticide residue will remain inside. For example, pears, peaches, and apples. The pesticides are not only on the skin, but in the entire fruit. You are only removing what is on the outside, but it does help a bit.

Here is another great link on Dr. Sears' website..Knowledge is power!!!

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T044100.asp
    Last edited by Aidens Mommy; March 11th, 2007 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Addition

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Smile Re: The Dirty Dozen-Foods FULL of Pesticides

i have recently started buying organic, but wasn't sure what to buy, so thanks! the info was really helpful.
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Just a couple of questions about things on the list that confused me--wondering if anyone happens to know???

1)I was surprised that cantelope is on the dirty dozen list. I thought that in general things where you ate the skin were the most concerning, and things with very thick skins usually had less inside??? (I know that there is some residue inside the fruit as well, but I thought it was less for things with thick rind that you don't eat??)

2)Since regular potatoes and sweet potatoes are both root vegetables, anyone know why regular ones are high in residue and sweet potato is one of the cleaner ones?

I am not sure the answers to those questions. I do know that a potato has many pesticides due to certain bugs that attack them. Maybe sweet potato does not have the same bugs attacking? Not sure...I did find another chart in the search for your answers though, lists a couple more foods.....

THE RED ZONE . . .
    AVOID UNLESS ORGANIC!

Peaches
    Apples
    Sweet Bell Peppers
    Celery
    Nectarines
    Strawberries
    Cherries
    Carrots
    Pears
    Frozen Winter Squash

SO-SO LEVELS . . .
    SO USE CAUTION!

Spinach
    Grapes
    Lettuce
    Potatoes
    Green Beans
    Hot Peppers
    Cucumbers
    Mushrooms
    Cantaloupe
    Oranges
    Fresh Winter Squash

BETTER . . .
    BUT NOT PERFECT!

Apple Sauce
    Raspberries
    Plums
    Grapefruit
    Tangerine
    Apple Juice
    Honeydew Melon
    Tomatoes
    Sweet Potatoes
    Watermelon
    Cauliflower

AHH . . .
    BEST OF
    THE BUNCH

Broccoli
    Orange Juice
    Blueberries
    Papaya
    Cabbage
    Bananas
    Kiwi
    Canned Tomatoes
    Sweet Peas
    Asparagus
    Mango
    Canned Pears
    Pineapple
    Sweet Corn
    Avocado
    Onions

You can find a lot of interesting things by searching pesticides on Google!

Bumpity Bump for Ms Eme.

Way too lazy for formula

Holy moly guacamole

Thanks Shelly!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Grapes is on both lists?
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin