Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm saying goodbye....

Default I'm saying goodbye....

...to my nipple shield! And you thought i was leaving! J/K
    Owen and I finally got over the hump and I no longer need it! It's such a relief since it was a pain in the butt to try to put on while I was nursing him in public. Now I can just stick him on and we're good to go!!!
    I am so proud lol.
    Last edited by sbbeana; March 10th, 2007 at 05:22 PM.

Default Re: I'm saying goodbye....

That's awesome! We didn't use our shield too long, but I hated the maintenance that went with it, as I was paranoid that bacteria was lurking in every corner.

However, the best thing is, your LO's latch is improved! Way to go, mama and baby!

So how did you do it? I am currently using one on my son who is 1 month old and I am ready to say goodbye myself!

Also, do you find that your LO nurses for less time without it?

Quote Originally Posted by jek1123 View Post
    So how did you do it? I am currently using one on my son who is 1 month old and I am ready to say goodbye myself!

Also, do you find that your LO nurses for less time without it?

There are a ton of threads about this! Many of us have done it successfully, and in less than one day. Do a search for "nipple shields" and you will find a lot of threads.

And yes, my dd did nurse for a lot less time.

Yeah for you sbbeana!!!!

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

YAY!!! Good for you for sticking with it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sbbeana View Post
    Owen and I finally got over the hump and I no longer need it!
    First off Congratulations!!
    Can I ask...who needed it? Was your son addicted to it or did you need it to combat the pain?

And how did you get rid of it? Enquiring minds want to know!! (and jealous ones!)

(I'm in nipple shield hell w/ my 4 mos. old DD and there is no end in sight)

yay! i hear ya on that one... it took a long miserable week for us. my advice... throw it away! (we relapsed once and it was WAY harder to wean off the second time)

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbie View Post
    First off Congratulations!!
    Can I ask...who needed it? Was your son addicted to it or did you need it to combat the pain?

And how did you get rid of it? Enquiring minds want to know!! (and jealous ones!)

(I'm in nipple shield hell w/ my 4 mos. old DD and there is no end in sight)
    Well lets see....
    For starters, I had FLAT nipples so it was hard for him to latch on. The fact that i was/am a 32H with engorged breasts didn't help him either to latch on so that was really difficult. The lactation consultant at the hospital got me hook on those nipple shields because it was so difficult to get Owen's mouth anchored on there (not to mention that breastfeeding was excruciating). So up until I was able to get rid of it, I was hooked on it. It wasn't until one day I thought "what the heck, I'm gonna try without it" I rememberd a technique I had learned in my BF class at the hospital, so I decided to apply it.
    So i lifted up my shirt, squeezed my nipple, teased Owen so that he would open up his mouth wide, and then "Pop" I shove the nipple in there lol. And of course, being the baby that he had become, he got a really strong latch onto my breast. The rest became history!!!

Isn't that the best feeling in the world! Congratulations! We used one, too, for about 3 months. It took us about a week of offering with, and then slipping it off in the middle, then offering the first side with and the second without, then the first side without before she got the hang of it.

Now you're living proof that a baby can be weaned off a nipple shield!