Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottles or other feeders for use with EBM

Question Bottles or other feeders for use with EBM

Once my baby has reached about two months of age there will be times when I will be unable to be with them and an other caregiver will have to feed them expressed breast milk. I was wondering what everyone found worked to them and there babies and didnt cause nipple confusion. So far we are considering trying the following:

Playtex Avance Natural Shape bottles

Avent bottles

Both of the above claim to be closer to breastfeeding then other bottles. Or should I skip the bottles all together and try to get babies secondary caregivers to use another type of feeding system altogether (eg Cup feeding) or wil baby be to young at about 8 weeks for any real sucess at cup feeding.

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Bottles or other feeders for use with EBM

There's also a new bottle out called Second Nature... I've seen them advertised, but I've not heard of anyone who has used them... You might want to check them out...

Jacqui

We started our baby on Avent bottles, number 1 nipples (slow flow) at 6 weeks. They worked great and she didn't have any problems returning to the breast, but we only gave her 2 bottles total every day. When she was about 12 weeks old, she started refusing the bottle and someone told us to try the playtex nurser, slow flow nipples. We did and she is back to taking a bottle. I don't really understand why she would be so finicky, but she is. I have never had a problem with her going back to the breast--she actually prefers it, but I would definitely recommend starting out slow--like one bottle a day for a couple days and then move it up to 2 for a couple more days, etc.

I haven't had to leave my baby often, but I did want her to be able to take a bottle so that my DH and I could enjoy an evening out, etc.

We chose the Playtex nurser system because I liked the milk storage system. I had also heard about Avent bottles leaking. (Don't know if they do, just heard that.) We started DD on a bottle at 6 weeks and she took it until around 8 months. Now she won't take any form of expressed milk when I'm gone. She only takes solids or water until I come home.

Some babies will take the system that you choose. Sometimes you will have to experiment with differnt bottles. Don't stock up just yet. Buy one or two bottles and nipples of the system you like. If the baby takes it, yeah! If not, buy a few more and keep trying. In the end, use whatever works.

Stephanie

We had the same issue with ds taking the avent bottles at first but then stopping. We now switched to the Platex vent-air with the "natural" shaped nipples for sitters, etc and he does much better with those. and yes, we did have some leakage problems with the Avent bottles. i've heard really good things about those Dr. Brown's bottles but not sure if they have a realistic nipple shape to them or not.

WOW thank you everyone for the info on what worked and didnt for you. I will take all of your experiences into account when it is time for us to try with out baby. Thank you again.

Hi!
    What worked for our ds is the Playtex Nurser System--Avent bottles and the 2nd Nature bottles were too hard for him, and the Breastbottle, he didn't seem to take to, though I think it's a great idea. There's also something called Breastflow, I think by First Years that we never tried. Good Luck!

We tried several nipples - including the Avent system, which DS has liked/tolerated a grand total of 4 times in his first year of life - and came back to the ones we were given "just in case" when we left the hospital with him! These are NUKs and they come in either latex or silicone and in a variety of flows for different stages of baby's development. We've had GREAT luck with NUK! They are very readily available in several stores - walgreens, babysrus, and I've even seen them in some supermarkets. They fit 'standard' bottles like medela, gerber, evenflo, etc. Given the preference, DS still loves breast best, of course - but he's smart guy! Good luck!
    Jsmom

We use Avent bottles and she doesn't have any problem. We introduced the bottle at 4 weeks and gave her 1 a day. My husband gave it to her, I wasn't in the room, so that she didn't have a bottle from me.

She is 6 weeks old and I went back to work a few days ago, my mom takes care of her, so she gets several bottles during the day. We haven't had any nipple confusion and no problems with leaking yet.

We had some latch issues earlier on, but Avent bottles are working out great.

Cynthia