Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poopy questions

Default Poopy questions

If my db's bowels are sometimes greenish/yellow and the consistency of pasty glue, does that mean he has an allergy or does it mean he's not getting enough hind-milk? I've heard different things.

Default Re: Poopy questions

Could be a variation of normal. How old is your baby and is he/she exclusively breastfed?

Red face Re: Poopy questions

I had the same concerns with my baby! She is exclusively breast fed, and had a few of those poopshow up...What i have found out is that is usually of no concern if they're is one or two a day and you are also seeing mustard poops frequently too. If your babies poo is strictly green then it could be a irritant you are eating,something viral,and causing diarrheoa(did i spell that right ?)It could also be due to baby getting too much of the high lactose milk @ the beggining or end of her feed(which one i can't remember) I hope that might give you a few options too look at...

My baby is now 5 weeks old. He is solely breastfed. He has a few barely-there pasty greenish/yellow/brownish bowels a day, and one REALLY LARGE bright yellow, mustardy, seedy bowel every morning. I've been trying to keep him on the first breast extra long during nursings and offer up the 2nd breast (but he rarely empties the 2nd) to eliminate the possibility of foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. I asked the pediatrician and she just said it's probably just coloration from my food or extra iron that I'm eating. If I stop seeing yellow mustardy bowels then I'll start thinking more about food allergies? Although, my first child does has a mild egg allergy.

The color and consistency of a breastfed baby's bowels varies greatly -- all of what you describe is within the realm of normal. It's when the color of baby's poop is accompanied by other symptoms and signs that we begin to wonder if baby is sensitive to something

LLL actually has a tear-off sheet with pictures of baby poop -- I tried to see if we had an electronic version of it but we don't. You may try calling one of your local LLL Leaders and asking her to send this tear-off sheet to you

HTH!