Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is my daughter self-weaning?

Unhappy Is my daughter self-weaning?

Hi everyone here in this forum,

My breast-feeding experience hasn't been very smooth with my second daughter who is now a 14 month old. I try to nurse her about 4-5 times daily and she nurses around 7-8 mins average per feed. I never had too much milk to begin with, since my daughter is not a big eater, I guess that's how we've been coping until now. She doesn't eat too much solid food either. I try to give her 2 proper meals(lunch and dinner). She used to eat breakfast but not now anymore. She has 3 wet diapers daily. She takes minimal drinks other then breast milk. Also, she keeps catching colds. Is she not having enough nutrients? Her weight has been quite the same since 1 year, does that cause concern? And I also find that as she gets older, she seems to be less patient to wait for the let down, sometimes she quits before the let down! It also appears that it takes me longer now to have a let down. I think my milk supply is dropping. What shall I do? Should I supplement with cow's milk or formula to keep her well nurished?? Any good suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Default Re: Is my daughter self-weaning?

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Ikonen
    Hi everyone here in this forum,

My breast-feeding experience hasn't been very smooth with my second daughter who is now a 14 month old. I try to nurse her about 4-5 times daily and she nurses around 7-8 mins average per feed. I never had too much milk to begin with, since my daughter is not a big eater, I guess that's how we've been coping until now. She doesn't eat too much solid food either. I try to give her 2 proper meals(lunch and dinner). She used to eat breakfast but not now anymore. She has 3 wet diapers daily. She takes minimal drinks other then breast milk. Also, she keeps catching colds. Is she not having enough nutrients? Her weight has been quite the same since 1 year, does that cause concern? And I also find that as she gets older, she seems to be less patient to wait for the let down, sometimes she quits before the let down! It also appears that it takes me longer now to have a let down. I think my milk supply is dropping. What shall I do? Should I supplement with cow's milk or formula to keep her well nurished?? Any good suggestions will be very much appreciated.
    Hi Susan,

You are worried that your daughter is not getting enough nutrients and breast milk. This is a common worry, especially when children are not big "eaters". The short nursing times may just mean that she has become a really efficient nurser.

It is the case with many babies (breastfed and otherwise) that after about 6-9 months, they will slim down or not gain very quickly. At that age, unless it is a severely underweight child, the issues of not gaining weight while exclusively breastfeeding are not as crucial as in the early days.

If you are interested in maintaining your existing supply and perhaps boosting it a little, you may consider adding a couple of feedings into the day. Maybe at night, when she is sleepy, when they are likely to nurse longer and perhaps early morning, many babies will nurse longer upon waking as well.

You might also offer water in a cup throughout the day, but not so much that she is full from that and not nursing.

Many mothers see nursing at that age a nice "insurance policy", especially for those children who prefer the breast to other foods. Since your milk is the "perfect food", it contains all of the nutrients that your child needs/requires.

If adding in extra feedings and possibly taking in more clear fluids yourself doesn't make a big difference in your supply, keep me/us updated and we can talk about some other solutions. Phoning and visiting your local LLL Leader/Group is always a good bet, too!