Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 months, stressful times

Default 10 months, stressful times

My baby has been getting solids since he was about 5.5months. But this has not gotten any easier. in fact its gotten alot worse. He use to happily take solids, baby food. Now its such a fight getting him to eat. The doctor has been telling us since he was around 7 months old he needs to get more solids, he should be eating at least twice a day if not 3 times. Last visit at 9 months she told us he should be eatting about a jar each feeding 3 times a day. That we have to get him to eat, even if we have to force him. Well I'm lucky to get him to eat 1/3th of a jar twice a day. He fights me constantly to the point we are both crying. He hits the spoon away, sends food flying everywhere. He refuses to sit still, Wont open his mouth, and his new trick he spits the food back at me so that both me and him are covered in food. Generally a bath follows lunch time. Everybody blames it on i breast feed him still. But i promised myself i would stop at a year and i will. So that leave 2 months for him to be weaned onto solids. But now everybody is telling me hes still gonna need formula at least until hes like 2. I thought he didnt need this once he hit a year. I'm confused. I dont really like his doctor, she doesnt seem to be too breast feeding knowlegdable, even though she said she BF her daughter, shes constantly telling me i have to give my baby vitamins and ceral w/ iron because my BM doesn't have everything in it that formula does. um... I thought it was the opposite. But i do think he needs to be eating more solids. I really just needed to vent, but any suggestions would be great

Default Re: 10 months, stressful times

wow...sounds like a good way to start a feeding aversion. has your doctor lost her mind? you force him until he is crying???!!!!

wow.....

my son is 10 months and eats one stage one jar...that is all he wants and you shouldnt ever force them.

You may want to consider switching pediatricians. Otherwise, just smile and nod while your pediatrician talks about solids and do what is best for your baby when you get home. I'm wondering why the Dr. feels he should eat more. If too little weight gain is an issue, remember that breastmilk has more calories per ounce than most other foods. BTW, my daughter is 9.5 months and doesn't finish a jar of food in a whole day! I, too, thought I would wean at one year, but now I'm not so sure because I don't think DD will want to.

Wow, I feel really bad for you. I agree with the pp, I think maybe another pediatrician would be good because it doesn't sound to me that she knows what she is talking about at all....scary. I don't think that you should force your son to eat, that will just make him afraid, and stressed, exactly what you don't want. I would just let him go at his own pace, I have noticed with my dd, (she is only nine mo.), that when we started solids, she only ate a little, (I bf before each time and still do), and now she is taking more and more. I don't force her though, when she is done, she is done. I hope that things get better for you and your son.

Here's what worked for us. I ignored the pamphlet they gave out at the drs. I gave DS baby food a few times, but he didn't like it so I ditched that route. At 9 months, they asked if he was eating baby food and seemed a bit shocked he I said he ate only table food, but there wasn't any discussion about it. I decided to agree with the idea that in the first year food is for experimentation and fun, so I sometimes would give DS food during a meal. I made my own sweet potatoes, applesauce and gave him banana. Once he could use pincher grasp it was often peas and pasta for meals. For the first few months, he ate minimally. I always let him decide how much he wanted to eat. He gradually started eating more and more with a big jump around 11 or 12 months. He is 13 mo now and I don't worry too much about what he eats b/c he is still nursing quite a bit. Please don't feel pressured by a "promise" to stop bfing at a year. It is up to you and your lo. I would suggest take a step back and evaluating what is best for you and lo as far as solids go. And remember, breastmilk is the perfect food for your baby.

so at 1 year does he have to continue getting some kind of BM or Formula or would he be ok with say cows milk?

I know hes more than ready for solid, hes constantly trying to get into the dog bowl and eat their food, a few times gotten it in his mouth before i was able to stop him. I'm always pulling something out of his mouth, normally its paper. He loves french frys, probably because he can hold them. he loves baby puffs thingies that gerber makes. its just when it comes to baby food, it just doesn't work. if he could feed himself it may be better, but theres not many things a baby can hold in his hand and be able to gum chew it.

You'd be surprised what all they can eat w/o many teeth. Peas, carrots, green beans, broccoli, grated apple, fresh pears (ripe), banana, grapes cut into quarters, melon, finely chopped meat, beans, toast, pasta, sweet potato, potato. He'll soon be ready for yogurt and cottage cheese. Really, just about anything as long as it isn't hard is okay. You might try experimenting with more table food and see how it goes.

I agree the only thing that I ground up for my last two babies was meat.
    they ate just table food sometime between 9 and 12 months.
    if you've already introduced the food he can eat it, just cut it up small and give it to him on his tray and let him self feed.
    Its silly to say baby must have so many jars a day.. bunch of hogwash.
    they are going to have days when they eat alot and others when they don't eat as much thats just the way kids are.
    Your doctor gave bad advice happens alot!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoeythelost View Post
    so at 1 year does he have to continue getting some kind of BM or Formula or would he be ok with say cows milk?

I know hes more than ready for solid, hes constantly trying to get into the dog bowl and eat their food, a few times gotten it in his mouth before i was able to stop him. I'm always pulling something out of his mouth, normally its paper. He loves french frys, probably because he can hold them. he loves baby puffs thingies that gerber makes. its just when it comes to baby food, it just doesn't work. if he could feed himself it may be better, but theres not many things a baby can hold in his hand and be able to gum chew it.
    Sounds like your baby might like something with a little more texture than jarred food. Have you heard about baby-led solids? Basically baby will be able to eat/handle whatever he is able to self-feed. He decides what he wants to eat and how much. You can read more about it here:
    http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html
    http://babyledweaning.blogware.com/b...ngerFoodBasics

My son is 9.5 months. We have been giving him table food since 7 months. He loves potatoes, avocadoes, carrots, beans, bean sprouts, toufu, chicken, fish, pears, bananas... he's tried and enjoyed many things.

To answer your question, you can continue breastfeeding after 1 year, if that's what you prefer. But I understand that toddlers after a year can handle whole milk, skipping formula altogether. HTH.
    Last edited by dorothy; March 10th, 2007 at 03:22 PM.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

Some babies just plain do not like baby food. Keep in mind that your LO might just not be hungry and is getting all the current needs at the breast. It seemed like right around 9 months my DS was screaming to me to pick up the pace with food. Before that was a totally different baby. Keep in mind that the first year of a LO's life needs to be primarily BM. Any solids given are for texture and experimentation. Your pediatrician is out of line. And most are when it comes to breastfeeding and supplementing. Unfortunate but true.

If you sit down to eat and your LO refuses, do not force it. This will only create problems further down the road. It you eat at the same time, continue to eat and see if they respond to it, kinda like hey what are you doing, can I do it too? Also, if I am trying something new on the plate and DS refuses it, I eat some first to show him it is OK. Often times then he'll try it. Most baby food tastes horrible, try what I call "people" food. Just stay away from the high allergy list of foods for babies and experiment. Never show your anxiety while trying to feed, It will rub off.....Believe me, been there..done that.

If you want to PM me, I can give you tons of food ideas...All healthy.....Book ideas on feeding LO.....I'd be happy to help further.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet