Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help Me Please!!!!

Default Help Me Please!!!!

I am new to this forum and this is my first post... I figure I might as well jump right into it...

I have been an avid breastfeeder and was very successful with our first born. She breastfeed for 13 months and then weened herself. We now have a 2 1/2 month old son and I have had two bouts with Mastitis and continue to get clogged milk ducts just about every other day!!! The first whole month was fantastic, no problems at all, but since one month one day, I have been fighting getting mastitis and clogged ducts almost every day! I pump, I drink water, I am now taking Lecithin, Vit. E, and Vit. C supplements and started this regimin about 5 days ago after reading a similar clogged duct thread... Has anyone ever had this experience before???? I DO NOT WANT TO GIVE UP Breastfeeding but, I cant handle the near-daily pain and being miserable...

Someone please help!!!!
    J

Default Re: Help Me Please!!!!

Do you have a lot of milk? How is your baby's latch? Are you feeding frequently? Any breast injury? Are you ill a lot?

I had this problem for about 2.5 months. G-d I sympathize with you, it was the most horrible 2.5 months of my life (except for the baby part being wonderful). Everyone, including the LC, told me to quite bf. My husband felt that if I continued, I would put myself back in the hospital. At 2.5 months, this went away, and I haven't had another clogged duct since. However, my daughter was on bottles at the beginning because of a bad latch. Once her latch and nipple confusion cleared, I never pumped again. I suspect my issues had something to do with the constant pumping. But, this was never confirmed and no one was ever able to tell me why I had constant mastitis and clogged ducts.

Anyway, as soon as I felt one coming, I would use a moist heating pad for 20 minutes. This was immediately followed by a hot shower with a lot of massaging. This usually kept them under control.

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie
    Do you have a lot of milk? How is your baby's latch? Are you feeding frequently? Any breast injury? Are you ill a lot?
    I wouldn't say I have "a lot" but a normal amount. By the end of the day I am running dry (or feel pretty empty) as I'm sure I should be. He latches wonderfully and during the day eats every 1-2 1/2 hrs max. No breast injuries and I'm hardly ever sick, well up until now. I have had a cyst removed from each side of my breast though and I read that I may be more prone to clogs if I have a history of cysts ... ???

I'm also wondering how long it will take for the Lecithin to kick in? I know I took Fenugreek with my first born because with the stress of going back to work my milk almost dried up, and it took a good 2 weeks for my milk to really start flowing again. Does it take this long for the Lecithin to work too?