Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shamed by sitter regarding solids

Talking Re: Shamed by sitter regarding solids

it sounds to me like you are doing great! as a matter a fact i have heard that the excess iron, that is not really bioavailable, in cereals can actually contribute to anemia in babies because it interferes with their natural iron absorbsion. while bm is totally bioavaiable and complete nutrition for your ds.

in my experience when non bf see things that bf mommys do they become very defensive, i think because the situation they see is so different from their own and they figure only one of you can be right. and if you are the one who is right...

keep up the great work!

Default Re: Shamed by sitter regarding solids

Oh no... the Iron pushers..... ( insert many cuss words here!)

After my c-section, I was told I needed Iron suppliments. I took half what they told me to and both the baby and I were painfully gassy and unable to go #2 comfortably. I stopped taking it and started eating more foods rich in vitamin c and a... had them do another draw... whooda thunk it... my levels were high! The three of us came home a day early to get rest from it all!!

Naturally, after hearing about bananas being easily digestable, we started with those and ventured into other vegies. ( Since he's teething we stay away from acidic things like fruits as much as possible or Drew gets a red butt!) I had people make their comments as well, so I asked for an iron count on him... Guess who's levels were fantastic!?! My doctor told me to always listen to my gut! ( Then laughed

Some people have serious nerve I tell ya! That sitter is lucky I'm not a rl friend!! lol

OMG - I would have told her to get bent! Seriously!
    That's YOUR baby and you know what's best for YOUR baby. Sounds like you are doing just fine.
    People do haven nerve, don't they. I'm mad for you..... can you tell?

Nerve - you're right! She really has lots. I've been ignoring everything up until now, but the basically unfit mother comment had me over the edge. So thanks for sharing my anger! I knew I would get support here if I was on the right track . . . and it appears I am! My first intuition was right, and now I'm just even more determined not to feed him cereal just because of the principle of the matter (haven't had a lot of sleep lately - brings out the best in me! Ha!) Thanks to all for ALL the great info. Not only do I have something to arm myself with, but I learned a lot for the next kiddo, too!

You are linked to your child in a way no other human being could be and if what you feel is right then you stick with that and do not let anyone tell you otherwise. A mothers instincts regarding her child should be trusted beyond all other things!

I cannot believe your sitter had the front to say such awful things to you, she should hold up and respect ALL of your methods of childcare. I would not take your ds back to her, not for a second. She obviously has no respect and you need to feel that a sitter will treat your beautiful boy as you do!

Love and Hugs to you and yours xx

My DD didn't start eating ANY solids until she was 13.5 months old, exclusivly breastfed up until that point (still bf now with foods at 17 months old). The doctors did a test every visit to check her iron levels, and every time, they were perfect!!!! No supplementing needed or cereal needed, she was getting everything she needed from me. The sitter is crazy for not following your parenting. They work for YOU, not the other way around. If you tell her NO CEREAL, she is to abide by that rule and not do it, if you tell her NO SOLIDS at all, same thing. Is she licensed by the state? If so, I would be contacting them and letting them know what she is doing. HTH.

that is so awful she would say that to you, how unacceptable. I'm glad you will be leaving but I would really approach her with information on solids, and tell her her behavior was rude and out of line, that she is the care giver not the parent. ugh some people drive me nuts!
    ~*TiffanyJewel*~
    Happily Married !
    SAHM to my two beautiful boys
    Ethan my sweet big boy! born 9-9-04
    Aidan my little nursling! (relactation) born
    5-2-06!
    Natalie Jewel Our Valentine! Born
    2-14-08
    *Relactation- a labor or Love*