Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breatfeeding turned into wrestling match

Default Breatfeeding turned into wrestling match

So, has anyone had this problem. My ds lately has been latching himself on before I can do it, which is fine most of the time. But, recently he has not been latching on correctly. We end up in a wrestling match to see who can get the correct latch first. I literally have to hold down his top arm to get control.
    Finally once I get him latched on and he starts arching his back, stiffening out his body, and begins to use his top hand all at the same time to push himself away. He will either stretch my nipple out as far as I think it can possibly go or he will pop himself off and relatch himself on. It is beginning to really hurt my nipple. I am getting frustrated-this has been going on for a couple of weeks now. I have tried changing his position to sitting up straight-but he does not stay latched on. I tried burping him-that usually turns into another 5 minute struggle because he is crying and stiffening himself up so half the time I cannot get a burp out of him. I have also tried skin to skin contact.
    I am beginning to get soooo frustrated with this breastfeeding. I feel like it has turned into a constant wrestling match and by the time he is halfway through his feedings I want to give up. He turned 3 mo old today-I want to bf for a year, but I cannot handle this. By the time we are done I am tired and stressed out.
    Why are we having this constant battle? Has anyone else ever had this problem? I would love some additional suggestions.
    Thanks so much-

Default Re: Breatfeeding turned into wrestling match

At just about the same age my DS started to get reflux. The back stiffening was one sign. Perhaps he's trying to position himself to avoid that or some other discomfort? When my DB was almost able to sit, he'd squirm and try to get upright to nurse that way. When I realized what he was trying to do, we tried it out with him sitting (well, more like slumping) and it seemed to help.

It also sounds like "pre-teething" to me. My DS would sort of grind his jaws together with my nipple between them. Not pleasant. I started giving him my finger or a teething ring before nursing to let him chew and massage his gums on something else first.

I think there are a bunch of reasons your DB may be doing what he's doing. I met with an LC twice and it was extremely helpful to have her experienced and knowledgeable opinion about what might be going on. A lot of the solutions are trial and error, to see what works, and she was very helpful with that.

hi there! You are so not alone I am anxiuos to read the replies you receive because the way you described your ds is as if you were watching my ds and myself!
    my little guy is just about the same age as yours - three months and a week.

i dont have any advice, but i just want to say keep it up! dont give up, you are doing such a wonderful wonderful thing for your child! i am sure one of the lllmoderators will have some good advice for you!

dd is 5.5 months old and she has been doing this for 2 weeks - driving me NUTS..lol

She latches on - I have to watch her when I open my bra or she will latch on first - but I hold my hand over it until I am ready. Then she latches and pulls back - I have figured out I think she is looking at the nipple. She also twiddles my skin with her fingers (nursing necklace is on the way!) and streches it back and forth.

I try holding her hand - no dice. I try covering the skin next to the nipple - she peels my fingers back so she can tug again. My nipples are sore from her pulling back and forth. I even tried a serious faced "No" and she thought that was the funniest thing she had ever heard.

OY!

I will be watching this for adivce

Question Re: Breatfeeding turned into wrestling match-or something else?

Okay, so not only do we have a wrestling match, but my ds has not gained any weight in the last month. We took him to the dr on monday to check his weight since we had a drop in weight from my milk supply dropping. I think that was from him sleeping through the night and more during the day and breastfeeding less.
    I am concerned for 2 reasons. Do you think he is acting this way because he is not getting enough breastmilk from me? Yes, he is producing 6-8 wet and 2-4 poopies. The doc was concerned he might have a stomach virus or someother GI problem. His poopies have been like yellow to a slight greenish color, with a bad odor and VERY watery. He thinks since my ds is pooping SO much so frequently (ds happened to poop when dr around, dr was concerned by the sound of the "explosion" by the smell, by the watery, gellous consistancy and by the amount of poopie that was in the diaper. So what kind of GI problem could he have and is it possible that this is what is keeping him from gaining weight?
    Tommorow, I have an LLL coming out to observe our feeding session to make sure ds is latching on correctly and to observe our "WRESTLING match"
    Does anyone think our wrestling match could be related to another decrease in milk supply? I do have to add, the last week he does not seem interested in bfing. he has been falling asleep easily. I am contantly switch feeding and when dh gave him a bottle on monday-he said it took all he had to keep ds awake to eat.
    Okay, so sorry for being so long. I am just feeling like a failure at this bfing-I feel like he is not getting enough milk, because he has not gained any weight.
    He is 12.5wk old, birth weight 7lb 7oz. Current weight 10 lb.

I had a similar experience with dd (now 9 m.o. and still a nipple tagger / puller / biter) and I found out afterwards that she had reflux ("silent reflux", so no spitting up a whole lot, but a lot of discomfort). She did the wrestling / back arching / bad latching / pulling away thing too. At the same time she also had frequent, watery poopies and I was told to try nursing twice on the same side because this happens when the baby gets too much lactose in one feeding from getting too much foremilk. Because dd was "wrestling" with me I would sometimes switch her from one breast to the other during a feeding and she would get too much foremilk. Once I stuck to one side for 2 feedings in a row, things improved. The lack of weight gain could be an indication of a food sensitivity, hopefully it's nothing. Good luck, I hope the LLL LC provides some useful insight.
    Last edited by Mom2Annika; March 29th, 2006 at 02:40 AM.

Okay, so we meet with the LLL LC today. And wouldn't you know it-ds was on his best behavior and did not do any of his wrestling!!
    We talked alot about what has been going on. I told her that we don't really have this problem if we are nap nursing. She suggested all of our nursing sessions be lying down or doing the kangaroo position (me reclined back with him on top of my stomach) because she thinks I have an over supply issue. And can I add-this is very uncomfortable position for me?!!!! But I did really love it, because that way we get more eye contact with eachother and more talking time. But, he spit up afterwards, he hardly ever does that
    Like mom2annika suggested above about the too much foremilk, she also believed he was getting too much of that and that was probably why he was having runny poops.
    On the positive side, I was glad to know that our latch is good also. The LLL LC thinks that because of my oversupply issue, ds is not gaining any weight. We have another weight check tommorow. I have been praying he has put on some lbs because I know the dr is going to tell me to start giving him formula if he has not gained any weight.
    So, I hope this info will help those with the same problem!!
    Last edited by Cutiepie; March 29th, 2006 at 07:39 PM.

I had similar problems when ds was 2.5 months, and still have them occasionally a month later. Like you, I figured out that I had a slight oversupply issue with overactive letdown. I did block feeding of 2-3 hours for a while and the poops turned yellow-brown (mostly!) and he seems much more settled and comfortable for most feeds. Now I don't worry so much about blocks but just nurse on one side for each feeding, sometimes sticking to one breast for two feedings if I don't think he has drained it yet. So I would definitely try block feedings. Maybe once a day he still has a fussy period where he won't let me latch him on even though he is obviously hungry, arching his back and pulling his head away with loud complaints. Sometimes he's mad because the letdown is a little slow, other times he protests because it comes too fast. Usually I stop and let him look at the scenery and relax a bit and then try again -- usually he settles in eventually. So hang in there!

Annie

Oh, here's another little trick I'm learning. When he starts wrestling and I've tried burping him and he still keeps at it, I sometimes give him my finger to suck. He usually sucks vigorously and I pull him toward the breast and do a switcheroo and give him my nipple instead. Maybe 4 out of 5 times that does the trick, and then he relaxes into nursing. But I always try burping first, sometimes it's as simple as that.

Annie