Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breastfeed unfriendly NICU

Default Re: Breastfeed unfriendly NICU

What a great supportice husband you must be! I'm happy for your wife that she has someone like you and your mother to help.

I don't have any personal experience with the NICU, but I did want to second what epbrown said - the hospital is working for you, not the other way around. I know it's different in other countries, but in America, health care is a business. I think it helps to think of yourself as the client or customer who has a right to demand what he wants for his child. That's the American way!

Best wishes to you all.

Quote Originally Posted by babygirlsmom1005 View Post
    Most NICU's will let you stay in them all day and night (except for shift changes and admissions of other babies, they clear them out). What I was saying is you cannot "bed down" in the NICU next to your baby, they do not allow that. The NICU my DD was at also had a pumping room and provided 3 diffrent pumps within the NICU to use. That is awsome they let you SIL stay in the hospital with her LO while they were in the hospital. The one my DD was in, there wasn't a place so I could take a nap or anything & I had to go home to get rested.
    That is so sad! They ought to have places in all maternity wards where the mommies of NICU babies can go lay down! My sil had to share a room with 2 other NICU mommies, but at least she had a bed, shower, and toilet. And you are right...no place to bed down. There just wouldn't be enough room, and it would max the nurses out, for sure!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I wish all hospitals had a mom's room in or near the NICU! When DS was born I was on a completely separate floor of the hospital and had to take the elevator to see/feed him. Totally frustrating when it hurts to walk and you have an IV pole to lug around.

What a tragedy it is the current state of affairs of this nations NICUs and intermediate care facilities in terms of NOT accommodating and encouraging breastfeeding !!
    We had the same experience: discouraged us from breastfeedinng, nurses pushed the bottle constantly and formula, pressured us about the time, etc etc etc.
    This is totally inconsistent with what we know about good parenting and good medicine! It reflects work loads and profit motives much more than good care, of that I am certian!

The NICU where my 35 weeker was had a pumping room and they were quite supportive of my breastfeeding although they did supplement him with formula since he lost so much weight and as the pp said they overfed to put on weight. You are wonderful to ask for help for your wife. She really just needs to nurse your baby when possible and pump, pump and pump some more. Good luck & congrats on your sweet baby!

Bravo to you, your wife and you mother!!!!

I just wanted to add if your wife is having to pump away from your baby have her take a picture of your baby with her. It helps to increase the bond by visualizing nursing the baby. It also can help with her milk letting down. If possible it would be great for your baby and wife to spend time skin to skin.

I would also check in with how much they are supplementing your baby with. I have fought many times with our NICU over the amounts that are given to babies-this is a milk calculator that can give you an idea about how much your baby needs.

Is there a lactation consultant in the hospital to get in contact with? I hope you don't mind my asking but have they told you approximately how long your baby is supposed to stay? Look in to a LLL meeting in your area, sometimes hospitals offer breastfeeding support group meetings or new mom support group meetings.

We can always work on a latch later, we need to get her milk supply going. Hope that helps a bit. Congrats on your blessing! And keep posting with questions/and updates

Our NICU was very pro-bfing, and we had a couch bed and recliner so we could be there 24-7, although the shower and bathroom was down the hall it was a nice place.

I too would just suggest pumping as often as possible, they had me on a 3 hr schedual round the clock. Tell them you want your baby on BM and only BM (if possible) and keep telling them that. They CAN measure how long your baby ate and weigh before and after feedings as well as weighing diapers.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

My DD was born at just shy of 34 weeks and was in our NICU for one month. Everything from the pp's is so true and good adivce. Keep up the support, keep pumping and do what you think is best for your child. One thing I would do differently if I was ever in that situation again is I would NOT let the NICU staff push me around so much. She was my first born, I didn't know anything AND I was scared. I pumped and my DD never got anything but BM, but they would encourage me to go home and get rest when really all I wanted to do was be there with my baby. Her main issue after the first few days was eating. She wouldn't suck....so they had to feed her through a tube. And they had strict guidelines of progress she had to make in order to be able to come home. Once I made up my mind that they weren't going to make me feel bad for being there so much, my LO started doing SO MUCH BETTER. The more time my husband and I spent there, the faster she made progress. Those nurses, while wonderful in so many ways, are overworked, etc. They don't have the time and patience to devote to a child like you would your own. When I was there to feed her at every feeding, whether it be breastfeeding, EBM or just holding the tube as it was given to her that way, it went so much better! Within 48 hours of my husband and I making sure at least one of us was there for EVERY feeding, she was home. I sure wish I'd done that earlier. Good luck! Do what you feel in your heart is right!

Wanted to second what everyone else has said ... PUMP PUMP PUMP!!!

and know that it really does get better!!! Our son had lots of bottles in the NICU but has successfully transitioned to becoming a boob man!

I've just been through this with an American NICU where my daughter was. While they were reasonably breastfeeding friendly, they also gave my daughter formula using bottles without asking permission, something that would not have happened in the UK. (I'm from the US, but had my previous two in the UK - both were in NICU there and were cup or spoon fed by preference.)

What we found is that the hospital was able to supply pumps, which I used every two to three hours. When I wasn't doing that, I asked at every NICU visit when her next feed was due, and once she was allowed to take nutrition orally I made sure that I showed up before the feed was scheduled. I'd then say that I was there to feed her, and we attempted breastfeeding first at every feed.

What we found is that very quickly she made it obvious that she preferred the breast to the bottle, and that made the NICU staff very happy to let her have a feed with me first. But as she was one of the larger babies in NICU, I have to say that they also really liked cuddling and feeding her, as she could be handled safely. So you may find that your baby is just so lovely that they want to feed her. Not a good reason I know, but something to consider.

So, best course of action is probably to pump like crazy, and make it to the NICU before as many feeds as possible. But you're doing a *great* job, so feel proud of the work you're doing!