Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mine story is no longer going to be a happy ending...

Default Mine story is no longer going to be a happy ending...

I've been having heart rate problems ever since the last few weeks of my pregnancy, my average was 123, the normal average is between 70 and 90, and the highest mine has gone was 194. My doctor thought it was either an overactive thyroid or something with my heart valves. But I went in for testing today and I have graves disease, I'm fine as long as I take my medicine, but it's Inderal and it can be passed into my milk and digested by my son. They've done a few studies, but they're still not sure if it's ok for the baby or not, so I can't breast feed anymore. I'm having radioactive testing done on the 28th, and then one more set of tests after that. I feel like I've been defeated by my own body. I know it's not really my fault, but I feel like a failure. and the worst part was that I can't have another baby as long as I have this. The graves disease can go away for good, go away and come back, or just stay forever. Before I was pregnant, I just had an overactive thyroid, but being pregnant turned it into graves disease. as long as I have it, I have to take the medicine and not only can the medicine transfer through breastmilk, it can also transfer to the fetus. It broke my heart when I heard that and I started to cry. so now not only can I not breast feed my son, I might not be able to have another baby. Just as I was starting to get the confidence that I might be able to do this I get this huge blow. Thank you all for the support and encouragement, but unfortunately it's back to formula for me. All of you have given me so much hope and I wanted to thank you all.

Default Re: Mine story is no longer going to be a happy ending...

Jess ((((hugs)))). I'm so sorry you're going through this.

If we can be of further assistance, do not hesitate to ask.

Good luck to you!

I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through. I hope your health improves and you are well!

Don't let guilt bring you down further, concentrate on getting well! As they say, accentuate the positive...it'll be easier for dad to help with the late night feedings and comfort....he can also help with some of the early morning stuff, especially on the weekends, and let you sleep late now and then. And you won't constantly feel like you smell like sour milk, something I'm REALLY beginning to despise!!!

Best of luck, I hope everything works out for you!

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. It must be terribly difficult to have learned this news.

Would it help you to know that Inderal is considered by the AAP to be a maternal medication usually compatible with breastfeeding? Hale lists it as a Lactation Risk Category L2 (safer). Hale also mentions that this drug has been studied numerous times and no pediatric concerns via breastmilk have been reported. I can give you word for word what Hale says in his book "Medications and Mother's Milk", including the studies he used. Perhaps this would help you with your decision?

In any event, I'm very sorry. Take care.

It's not just the inderal, it's the radioactive iodine used for further testing and treatment. Thank you though! I keep reading everything I can, and the more I read the more depressed I get. It can also cause infertility. aaarrrggghhh!!!!!I keep telling myself that at least I have my son. there are other people out there stryggling to do that, so I'm thankful that God allowed me to have Jacob before I found out.

Quote Originally Posted by jessiiee2005
    It's not just the inderal, it's the radioactive iodine used for further testing and treatment. Thank you though! I keep reading everything I can, and the more I read the more depressed I get. It can also cause infertility. aaarrrggghhh!!!!!I keep telling myself that at least I have my son. there are other people out there stryggling to do that, so I'm thankful that God allowed me to have Jacob before I found out.
    Oh jessiiee What a blow.
    You may want to ask your doc about the exact name/dosage of radioactive iodine they will use for the tests. Some mothers in your situation have managed to pump and dump their milk until the levels have gone down to a safe level. There are ways of testing your milk for this.
    Of course, I do understand that you have been through a lot lately, and you may not feel up to this. Please rest assured that however you decide to handle this you have given your baby a wonderful start to his life, and that this is something of which you should be very proud.

Big {{{hugs}}} to you!
    Please keep in touch and know that we care.

LLLnormaR