Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding and Work Trips

Unhappy Breastfeeding and Work Trips

In May I need to go on my first work trip since the birth of my baby. It will also be my first night away from her as well. I exclusively breastfeed and plan to do so until June. What are the chances that while I am on this trip which will be a Sunday - Saturday that my baby weans herself and no longer has any interest in nursing. I want to continue breastfeeding her until she's at least 1 year if not longer and am very afraid of losing this due to my work. My daughter is so important to me and the connection we have when nursing is infintely special I dread not having that. Any advise would be so very welcome.

Thank you
    !

Default Re: Breastfeeding and Work Trips

How old will your baby be in May? Is there any way possible to take baby with you? Perhaps you could line up childcare now in the city you'll be in? Perhaps you could bring a teenage "mother's helper" with you? Or even Dad?

Does your baby nurse throughout the night? Any chance AT ALL that you could postpone the trip?

I can't tell you what the chances of baby weaning herself are but it will probably be extremely stressful to both of you to be separated for that long.

My very best suggestion is to figure out a way to bring baby with you so that you can at least nurse her throughout the night. I hope you find a solution that is suitable I think it's fantastic that you value your breastfeeding relationship so much -- it really is important!

Thanks for the thoughts. My daughter will be just under 6 months in May. Unfortunately I cannot postpone the trip - it's either go or lose my job. I would love to be a SAHM but can't afford to.

I am trying to convince my husband to go - he'd rather stay home with her - and see the value in it but am not so successful as of now but if we all think positive thoughts maybe he'll change his mind. I can't bear the thought of being away from her for 1 night much less a week.

It might help to leave DD some of your pyjamas that you've worn a few times (and haven't washed). Also, you could ask DH to wear a shirt that smells like you while he gives DD the bottle. It's easiest for him if you wear one of his shirts for a few days to impart your scent, rather than trying to get him to wear one of yours!

Print out this page and go over it with whomever will be caring for baby while you're apart. It's not a LLL page, but very good. How to make bottlefeeding more like breastfeeding: http://www.bfar.org/bottlefeeding.pdf

Also, please see another recent post in this forum about taking trips and pumping to maintain supply. http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=1750
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I had to travel when my daughter was 7 months old. I ended up bringing my Mom who took a week of vacation so I could work! I then had to go on another trip 2 weeks later and I brought my partner.

I was so glad my daughter could come with me, though it was expensive to pay for the extra plane ticket. My work was a lot more accommodating than I thought they would be.

I know exactly where you are and I know the pain and fears about going away. Your baby is so luck that you are so commited to her!
    Kristy

Thumbs up Re: Breastfeeding and Work Trips

I recently went on my first trip away from our DS. We had bought a ticket and planned to bring him, but after another attempt that failed (he was miserable for 3 days and cried constantly) we decided it made more sense for everyone to leave him at home.

I felt so guilty and worried (DH had not spent a lot of time doing the essentials - feeding comforting etc).

Long story short, they had a great time! DS was very happy and got much closer to Dh. DS nursed immediately when I returned and acted as though I had never been gone.

I was really worried because DS had never gone a night without nursing. Not only did he thrive through the first experience, he is closer to DH and I got some alone time to sleep and get out a bit.

Good luck on your trip!

I also had to leave my 6 month old dd for a work trip last month and was scared that she'd have NO interest in BF once I got back. I was gone 6 days..couldn't bring her with me either.
    I pumped as much as I could each day and in the middle of the night to keep my supply up--very hard to do as a meeting planner, but I found the time.
    When I got home, my little one was full of smiles and took to the breast like I never left and has been fine since.
    My supply dipped a bit, but I made sure to spend as much time as I could with her--nursing on demand and nursing at night while we slept to boost it back up. I also didn't have a supply built up for her before I left, but she adjusted fine to similac while I was gone.
    let me know how it works out for you...I'm sure it will be fine!