Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I be worried?

Default Should I be worried?

Ok this might all sound like it's no problem at all but i'm a bit worried.

Elias is 9 wks old and exclusively bf. He's had about 4 bottles of ebm (2oz each) when i had to go somewhere quickly or something like that. Otherwise it's always been breast. He is gaining weight, having enough wet/poopy diapers and everything is fine. BUT..today he's been unusually quiet and content..lol..i know you say why am i worrying? He is always been very fussy and very hungry all the time and that's fine because of that i have an excellent milk supply and a good freezer stash.

This morning i went out food shopping. It snowed and was freezing so i fed him, left 2oz of ebm for dh to feed and left. I was letting down in the store like crazy. Took me about 2 hours. Elias feeds every hour or so when he's not sleeping. When i came back, i was expecting a crying baby. Nope, he was content watching tv with dad and he didn't cry once of hunger. I fed him when i got home and he took a nap in my arms.

Well the thing is he has continued to be this freakin good kid!! lol..he's not nursing as often and just hangs out quietly in his swing or his bouncy chair until he's hungry. Now he's tired and i'm nursing him so that's fine, but about 30 min ago he kinda fussed so i proceeded to nurse him. As soon as he felt the tip of the nipple he gagged! It wasn't even in his mouth! what's that all about?

I know i have enough milk and that's not what worries me. It's the fact that he's not wanting to nurse as often. My last child nursed all the time until he weaned at a year old! I'm not used to having a kid just not nurse and be just fine and dandy while i'm engorged out of my mind! And i just got a pump in style from freecycle and pumped 2 bags of breastmilk already. I know that's making me make more milk but i don't want to lose a single drop..lol

What do you ladies think?

Default Re: Should I be worried?

If this is something that's been going on just today, I wouldn't worry about it. Continue to offer; if he won't nurse, pump as needed for engorgement, and keep an eye on his output to make sure it stays within his realm of normal. If you're still concerned in a day or two and/or he starts to go longer than 2-3 hours between feedings, then maybe contact your local LLL Leader, LC, or post here again.

Good luck!

Ok thank you. I'll be watching out for it. It's just today so far. He's always very needy and nurses all the time. I wear him almost all day, everyday since i have other kids to tend to..but today, no sling.

I would keep watching him as the pp said and make sure he's not going more than 2-3 hours between feedings. Could be that he's not feeling well too. Is he fussy at all when you nurse him? On one side more than the other? My DD used to get that way if she had an ear infection... or a cold and her nose was blocked.

On the positive side, some babies are just more laid back, or don't have as much need to suck. He's already over 2 months and probably starting to become more of a person, IYKWIM. So perhaps it's just today - maybe he's off or not feeling well - or perhaps he's going to turn out to be a mellow little guy!

Good luck!