Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: dried, frozen or canned?

Post dried, frozen or canned?

I know fresh is best, but sometimes not as easy to come by. So what is next best? Wondering about salt, sugar, preservatives, loss of nutritional value. For instance, lima beans are available in all three forms. Although when I bought the dried, they weren't green and hard to soften(even according to the directions- twice). My squash when fresh turns out gritty. So I wonder how bad could the frozen be? And I've given my 10mo.old- no teeth- canned pumpkin. Most things you can find only one way I think. But back to the beans, what's the most healthy of the three?

Default Re: dried, frozen or canned?

I think fresh is probably the most healthy, but I give my son canned because they are softer. (He can't chew the frozen or fresh ones with no molars). I think as long as you don't give them canned everyday, it's not a big deal. I think I read somewhere that children do still need salt in their diet.(Just my opinion of course)
    First time Mommy to Alexander - Born Jan 15, 2006

I'm not sure about dried at all, but I believe frozen is supposed to be better than canned. We almost never use canned veggies or fruits, mostly fresh and frozen. One rule of thumb is that the richer the color in a vegetable, the more vitamins it contains. So, think of the sickly green color of canned peas versus the bright green of frozen peas. If you read the nutrition facts you will see what I mean. Also, vitamins leach out of the solids and into the liquid in canned goods, so the vitamins often go down the drain. That's why steaming is more nutritious than boiling when preparing fresh or frozen veggies. I always use as little water as possible.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thanx for responding. So I take it that more people probably use frozen more often cause at least this time of year it seems the fresh is hard to come by. And I can never get mine smooth enough for baby either. Blender leaves chunks even with water added. Any suggestions on that? What about other beans? Do you moms feed baby kidney or chic peas etc? They all come canned right? Or should I try to save those for the every now and then? I'm trying to discover options.

Be careful and read the labels of canned beans and veg. Almost all of them have very high sodium content, which is really taxing on your LOs kidneys.

Frozen is a good way to go. The veg is picked and flash-frozen which does the least damage to the food. As far as skins are concerned, if you're comfortable doing it, you can give your 10 month old peas with the skins on. Kesiah has them a couple times a week and has never had a problem with it. In fact, I think she likes the way they pop in her mouth. If you're pureeing, I don't think you need to worry, either. At this age they can handle a little extra texture.

good luck!

i have found that store brand frozen stuff has no extra salt....at least here in ct at stop and shop.....
    we do kidney beans...chick peas...black beans..etc....i get organic with no added salt...i just bought a bag of them dried but havent been adventurous enough to try them yet...
    i squeeze them out of the skins right onto his tray and he lovvvves them....
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

as far as puree-ing, i have a simple hand grinder thingy that i got at the baby supply store (babies r us, etc, probably at target, kmart, etc etc). anyway, i like the consistency it creates a lot more than my blender.

as far as dried, frozen or canned...i think i use all frozen or fresh. i haven't done beans of any sort though...so don't know what i'd do there
    sounds like your doing a great, thorough job though!

keep up the good work!
    happy mama of stella 10-11-02, eli (5-3-06), and jude (2-28-12)

Would it say in the ingredients on the can salt or sodium if it was added or just in the nutritional info under sodium. I don't know what is too much in a food? Cause like my pumpkin can said just that. Ingredients of pure pumpkin. Nutritional 5mg sodium, 4gm sugar which I take is naturally in the pumpkin. I sound so stupid. Didn't we already go thru grade school for this. My husband says I'm crazy with my over concern about these things. Gonna turn her into a freak. But I know how these first years are so imp. and with the high blood pressure and diabetes in my family. I just want to do the very best.

dont feel stupid at all!!! if you scroll through a few pages in starting solids or feeding your family you will find that i asked a ton of 'stupid' questions!! you wont make your lo a freak either...i only wish my mom had been conscience of these things for me and then id have WAY better habits! anyway, everything has stuff in it naturally, like salt...sugar... but you want to stay away from that stuff added in.....if the ingredients say pumpkin and thats it than that is great....check frozen veggies.....they will say, spinach and salt.....keep looking and you will find one that says just spinach.....thats what you want
    also they are added in order so if corn syrup is in the first like top 5 ingredients thats not something y ou would want to give a baby (imo)
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Hope you are still reading...last post was yesterday afternoon. Anyway, you mentioned in one post that your LO has no teeth at 10 mo. Thought I'd send some no-teeth-love your way. It IS more difficult to figure out foods to a child with no teeth!! Our son is 21 mo. old and is still toothless...so I've been there! (:

I pureed his food in a blender and strained it for quite a while. Seems like at 10 months we were past the straining. (??) You do whatever you feel is necessary to keep yourself sane and avoid gagging. Seems like when he was a year old, after we had fed him foods individually to rule out allergies, I would blend most EVERYthing we ate and fed to him....taco soup, mac& cheese w/veggies, chicken & rice. I would even freeze leftovers blended in the tiny rubbermaid containers. It was amusing to be w/friends, who would say... WHAT is he eating? But I think it's really helped him keep having such a broad range of foods to eat that we fed him such a variety. It's just more difficult to feed at that age with no teeth when everyone else can whip out the cheerios and graham crackers!

If you're interested, I'd be glad to share more...(if I don't respond quick it's b/c I'm off giving birth to #2 ). Hope that helped. (BTW, we did fresh acorn/butternut squash strained, helped with the grittiness & strings.)

ARS