Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reverse Cycling - not sure if I should reduce pumping.

Default Reverse Cycling - not sure if I should reduce pumping.

My Daughter is 10 months old and for the last two months has continued to take less and less EBM at day care (She eats when I get home and through the night). I obsess about how much milk I am pumping, will I have enough, when am I going to pump, ect. I have been pumping more than she needs every week and have a ton frozen.

I pump 3 times a day at work and just three days ago I reduced to 2 times. I am so nervous that I will dry up or that Maxine will all of a sudden start needing more milk.

Any encouraging advice?

Breastfeeding Mom,
    Kristy

Default Re: Reverse Cycling - not sure if I should reduce pumping.

You might also post in the section for employed mothers. This is common amongst mothers employed outside of the home.

Default Re: Reverse Cycling - not sure if I should reduce pumping.

I am in a similar situation. This is what I did. I pumped 3 times a day for the first 8 months, the 3rd pumping he never ate and the first two he was only eating about half so I decided, like it looks like you did to drop the 3rd pumping. Since he does eat some the EBM from the first two sessions I decided I would keep them both till he got to be a year old, then I'm dropping to one. I'm going to keep the one till 16-18 months depending on how much he's eating, because I would prefer he still gets mostly my milk for the first two years, but I'm ok with him getting cow's milk after a year as long as he nurses well when I'm with him. The extra milk I've been getting and freezing I'm planning on donating to a milk bank. Here is a link for the human milk bank association, maybe you could see if there is one in your area if you have extra milk to donate.

http://www.hmbana.org/

Hope that helps, I too was worried that at some point my baby would want the extra milk and that if I dropped a pumping session too early I'd not have enough. Luckily that hasn't really happened and now that he's eating more solids he's less interested in the milk, but still nurses very well when I am with him.