Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 month old..amount and often

Question 4 month old..amount and often

My DS just turned 4 months old, weighs about 20 pounds, and sleeps 6-8 hour stretches at night. Everything looks about right and I have NO PROBLEMS with breastfeeding except this.

My DH thinks that he should be on a 2-3 hour schedule during the day. When I am not home (at work) DS eats about every 2-3 hours. But when I am home, sometimes he'll eat every hour. When he gets a bottle of breastmilk he can eat 5-6 ounces at one time, but he normally eats 4 oz. DH says according to Amercian Ped book that he should be eating 5-6 oz at his age and gets upset with me because I don't nurse him long enough and thats why he eats every hour. I decided to feed on demand and comfort nurse with DS and did not realize DH would have a problem with it. I had a LC tell me that I was doing everything fine and perfect. But DH seems to still have problems. Does anyone have some good back up for me to help explain to him, or am I simply not doing things right?

Thanks..Mel

Default Re: 4 month old..amount and often

Hi there!

It sounds like you're doing everything right. Babies nurse for many reasons aside from nutrition. Many babies prefer mom over a bottle, and while they can go longer stretches between bottle feedings, want to remain "attached" to mom whenever possible So consider yourself bonded!

Additionally, it sounds like you're at work during the day. Babies tend to cluster feed in the evenings, so your son's pattern makes a lot of sense.

Growth spurts can also cause babies to want to nurse often. Remember, breastfeeding is a supply and demand system! Feeding your son on demand will ensure that your supply keeps pace with his demand - doing otherwise can compromise your ability to make enough. So keep doing what you're doing!

Here are some resources for your DH:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/frequent-nursing.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/frequency.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/spurt.html

Good luck!

I have been nursing for over 6 months and we are STILL not on a "schedule." One of the hardest things is to go with your instinct. You are doing wonderful! You are doing everything perfect. You have a baby that is eating well and growing strong. DD ate every hour for a very long time. You DS is going to eat what he wants when he wants. When you are nursing, there is no way that you can make him "eat more" by nursing longer. When you are home, your son probably just wants to be close to you and that is why he nurses every hour.

You are doing great mama! Trust your instincts and keep nursing they way that you are! Sounds like you have a wonderful growing boy!

I second Quagmire's suggestion to visit kellymom for information!

Remind your DH that babies don't just nurse b/c they're hungry. It's comfort thing, too.

My DD has decided she won't eat at all while I'm gone, so she makes up for it by nursing nearly every hour in the evening and then wakes up 3-4 times a night to nurse, too.

You are doing great!

Another thing to keep in mind is that your baby's stomach's "holding" capacity can be differnt from your breasts holding capacity. Maybe your breasts can only hold an oz or two at a time? In any case, there is abosolutely NOTHING wrong with a baby eating every hour at any age (unless, of course, it bothers the mother I guess). Ds ate every hour during the day until he turned 5 mo. Now he's 9 mo and still eats every 2 hours for most of the day. I can't think of any good reason to forcably schedual a baby.