Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning from EBM to???

Default Weaning from EBM to???

My DD is 9 months old. I've been back at work for a few months, and pump. I used to pump enough for her to take the next day (she typically only drinks 6-10 oz at daycare). Recently, however, I've been able to pump less and less... partly because my work schedule has simply made it impossible for me to pump more than once some days, and probably partly because of something else I just can't figure out. As a result, I am no longer always pumping enough (I can't get more than 6 oz a day).

Unfortunately, she refuses formula and cow's milk (our doc has given us the okay for cow's milk) at daycare -- yet we have tried both at home, and she happily gulps away. The thing is... I don't want to be pumping forever, and she will have to start drinking cow's milk at some point!

I should add that on weekdays, in addition to what she drinks at daycare, she nurses when she wakes up (at least once, sometimes twice before we leave!), when we get home around 5, again at bedtime around 6:30, and at least once but usually twice during the night.

Any suggestions with this situation are welcome!

Default Re: Weaning from EBM to???

A few thoughts...

Some mothers find that storing their milk in smaller quantity bags will significantly reduce waste and some find that they did not need to pump as much as they thought they did because nothing is being thrown away.

I don't want to be pumping forever, and she will have to start drinking cow's milk at some point!
    Although cow's milk is only necessary in the diet of a baby cow and not humans, if you are going to be introducing cow's milk, the recommendation is to wait until at least one year of age. Also, it is not a "whole" food the way that human milk is and should not be used in place of human milk feedings.

I like this article on pumping and problem-solving: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html

Default Re: Weaning from EBM to???

You might find after 9 months that your daughter doesn't quite need the same amount of ebm feedings, especially if she is taking in more solids of different kinds during the day. My daughter started self-weaning at about 9 months and she really only takes one bottle a day while I'm at work (sometimes not even that). Still nurses AM/PM with me. I can relate to the supply issue since my childcare often had to add some formula to the ebm to "stretch" it a little. For a while, supply did not quite keep up with demand. Don't know if this helps, but thought I'd offer my experience.