Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss After Preganancy !

Thumbs down Weight Loss After Preganancy !

Hi Dears
    my LO is 3 months old now .I had gained 16kgs during my pregnancy
    My pre-preg weight was 45kgs (99pounds) and I had hit 61kgs (134pounds) Since I had C-section I had lost only 6kgs and came down to 55 kgs (121 pounds) ...But again i shot up till 60kgs!! ( now back in 57kgs (127 pounds)
    I am doing fast walking - 30 mts and 2.5kms (1.5miles)...I really need to drop down 12 kgs ! can anyone give me tips pls.. .Am still BF my LO and he is on full BF. sometimes i feel so hungry though i am completely off Chocs/ Cakes/Icecreams.. .I am not into dieting ..or die eating also
    i try and eat only for hunger with few exceptions...
    Any tips and support is appreciated.. as i ve to loose 12kgs (almost 26.4pounds)

VR

Default Re: Weight Loss After Preganancy !

I would like to caution you not too lose to much weight too fast because of the breast feeding. Also think about the fact that water weighs alot, and in order to produce milk you need LOTS of water. So all the weight you are worried about.. some of it is nessesary to be a good milk producer. Having a little extra weight right now, won't kill you, be patient!

hey thanks for that inputs,,
    me culd not log in for sometime !!
    well i am unable to control my hunger also at times
    so it is kinda complex!! ehheeh also last week had major knee pain so reduced walking also ! almost nil !!(
    will start from tomorrow again in full swing so that i can stick to a schedule
    i end up having overall body pain which i completely attribute to my over weight by 12kgs!! (
    am depressed will i be able to get rid of this pounch ever !!!

Post Re: Weight Loss After Preganancy !

Yes, you will. Be patient!!! I have a same problem. I still have 10+ lbs to lose, and it bothered me for a long time. My DD is 7 months old now, and still BF. Me too, I feel hungry all day. You have watch not the quantity, but the quality, and maybe smaller portions, but frequent eating would be better. Give it a try.
    The extra pounds bothered me, too, nothing fits me at the moment, but I got over it quickly. My DD wellbeing is much more important, than some extra pounds. I always say, my husband doesn't marry me, because of my body. Beauty is skin deep.

Good luck!

Andi

Hi Andi
    that s encouraging to read ur update..
    But tell me one thing...which month is ideal to start extra food for LO...
    i mean now he is in Complete BF..he will be 4 months by end of March
    so shld i start with semisolids like juices and starch by mid of April ie. when he is 4.5 months ...or shld i cont BF till 6 months completely..?
    I am confused and here in India summer is already started ..my friends are telling i shld give LO water also which i ve not been doing so far..
    advice pls..

Smile Re: Weight Loss After Preganancy !

Hi Vinodha,

Sorry, but I have a lot to write. This is only my experience, what I went through up until now.

Well, the best age to start solids is around 6 months. They say their stomach is not well developed before that age. I started introducing solids to my dd when she was 5 1/2 months old, but wiyh my son who is 8 yrs old now, even sooner. See if your lo: begins to sit, follow food with eyes, opens mouth for spoon, closes lips over spoon, moves semi-solids to back of tongue, swallow semi-solids. But for now, if i were you i would cont bf till your lo will be 5-6 month old. Introduce new food 1 at a time and at least 3 days apart. Offer small amounts of food at first and then gradually increase. Even if you introduce solids your lo main source is breastmilk. What i'm doing is that i'm bf and after she is getting some cereral.
    I wouldn't give them juice just yet. If it gets really-really hot in India, you can give your lo some water. I'm still feeding on demand and don't follow the clock. Do you have access to infant cereal in India?
    First introduce single grain cereal, like rice, and then barley, oatmeal and then mixed grain cereal. Second food be vegetables and then fruits and the last is meat. The cereal is important, because there is iron in them, which your lo needs at this age. Introducing semi-solids and solids is a slow process. You have to see, which they tolerate, or they might be allergic to something. If you introduce new food, do it in the morning, in case of an allergic reaction.
    Good luck, and keep on BF, that is the best for them at this age. Keep me posted.

Andi

hi Andi thanks for that reply
    well as you mentioned am going to continue BF him as long as possible esp exclusive till 6 months
    abt water probably i will start giving him from mid of april (LO will be 4.5 months) and that is when it is hot summer here..
    yes abt solids and semisolids def i will take ur inputs from ur experience

now ..i ve to loose 15kgs !! which is almost 33 pounds. !! ( lot to shed....
    A)can i start abs ?
    B) also weight training in my gym ? or
    C) any specific back exercise? well am unable to control hunger at times..so am not dieting
    D) Right now am doing walking 1.5miles per day...in 30 mts.which am planning ot make as 3miles from per beginning April ...
    pls let meknow if there is anything else i shld concentrate/start with now itself!

thanks again

Smile Re: Weight Loss After Preganancy !

Hi Vinodha,

Well, I am no expert, but you can probably start exercising, doing abs is fine. I could not do abs for a long time. I really can not say anything about weight lifting, I don't know if there is anything to do with milk supply or not, but I think walking is probably one of best exercises. I am planning to start going to the gym tomorrow, they have some yoga and pilates classes.
    Like I said earlier, I get hungry too, I could say I eat all day. The extra pounds will eventually come off. It bothers me sometimes, too, because a lot of my clothes don't fit. I think you shouldn't make a big deal of this weight issue, just concentrate on lo, because they don't care if you weigh more or not, they will remember that you gave them lots of love and care.

Good luck!

Hi there -

One more idea is try to eat lots of high fiber foods. This was the only healthy way I found to curb the appetite a little with nutritious foods and keep the weight under control. High fiber muffins, cereals, dried fruits, etc.

Worth a shot!

Good luck,
    Amanda

Default not happy

hi Andi
    thanks for that lengthy input...

been hectic in the past few days and hence culd not post reply

#1) In the past 3 days DS is been feedingquiet often as often asevery 30 mts and not sleeping also well ..!

#2) I got my periods (first time after delivery) on this saturday and it is painful and i feel there may be a milk supply down becuase of which DS also having issues

#3) or may be he is going thro a growth spurt or something

#4) Saturday Night India time 12am.. (sunday eearly morng i shld say) DS was crying heart out becuase of hunger.. and me /DH tried even pressing hard my breasts and not a drop of MILK( had to make 1 oz of formula and he took 10 ml and went to sleep. !!! He was ok till today (sunday) afternoon
    again since afternoon 2pm..he started on demand of every 30 mts.
    i do not mind nursing him as long as he getting to drink..
    my worry is .."is he getting at all" ...well worth mentioning here his diapers are not becoming too wet as it used to be before 3 days !!
    so am even more worried abt the night ...shld i ve to give him formula again

i guess am more worried which is also not good for DS ..
    i am planning to call Lactation consultant tom if this continues
    or shldi wait for my periods to get over and see is this the trend ? or shldi call doc and check shld i give him formla? ...