Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: having a cold = drop in supply?

Unhappy having a cold = drop in supply?

I am writing because I am a little concerned about my milk supply. Up until this week I've had too much milk. I work M-F and pump 2-3 times while I am at work and try and get home to nurse during lunch. This weekend my son and I came down with a cold. He slept most of the weekend, which is our time to nurse on demand in order to build my milk supply back up. He didn't nurse very often, but I wanted him to sleep so that he could kick the cold. Monday he had his shots and slept again, most of the day. Most of my pumping sessions end with 8 oz total, and milk still flowing. Monday and Tuesday I couldn't even get 8 oz with breast compression.

Last night my son was fussy. At first I thought it was gas, and when he wouldn't calm down with nursing or a pacifier and kept trying to nurse, but then get frustrated, I realized he was hungry and my milk wasn't coming out. I had my husband warm up a bottle of expressed milk and he drank an ounce and was out.

Can my cold be affecting my milk supply? Or was it the fact that he didn't nurse as often this weekend? Will it be permanent or can I build it back up this weekend?

Default Re: having a cold = drop in supply?

While it "could" be a drop in supply, it is by no means permanent. Be sure to pump at regular intervals when you are away from your baby or when he is missing regular feedings during this period, get plenty of fluids and nurse, nurse, nurse every chance you get, at least offering whenever you can. That will most likely keep your supply up sufficiently. And while some babies nurse MORE when they are ill, some babies are not that interested in nursing, especially if they have nasal congestion as it cuts off the supply of air through their mouth if their nose is plugged. It might help to make sure his nose gets cleared of congestion.

Have you used any over the counter decongestants? They have been known to decrease milk supply.

Red face Re: having a cold = drop in supply?

I only used a nasal spray a few times over the weekend. I didn't think the spray would cause a decrease like sudafed or something like that would. I pumped this morning and things seemed back to normal and was with my baby this afternoon, so did not have to pump the second time. We'll see how things are tonight, but I think it was just temporary. Of course I jump to conclusions and freak out occasionally concerning my milk! I was so grateful to have extra milk in the fridge for him to eat last night. If we hadn't had the extra bottle, I think he might have been fussy all night! The only alternative I suppose would have been to give him formula, but we don't keep any of that in the house because I feel strongly against it. Everything seems to be okay today. Thanks for the response! I appreciate it!