Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Increase in one Breast

Default Increase in one Breast

My ds went on a nursing strike on my right breast. And now I have a lower supply of bm. However I have an abundance of it in my left breast, good thing. But what are some good suggestions to increase milk supply where I don't have to ebm because when I have he wont nurse from that side. And if I don't ebm then he will nurse, but not long and I don't even hear him swallowing at all. I need to do this cause the let down in the left breast is too much for him to handle. He constantly chokes when my milk lets down.

Default Re: Increase in one Breast

Quote Originally Posted by sheena137
    My ds went on a nursing strike on my right breast. And now I have a lower supply of bm. However I have an abundance of it in my left breast, good thing. But what are some good suggestions to increase milk supply where I don't have to ebm because when I have he wont nurse from that side. And if I don't ebm then he will nurse, but not long and I don't even hear him swallowing at all. I need to do this cause the let down in the left breast is too much for him to handle. He constantly chokes when my milk lets down.
    let me see if I have understood you correctly:
    You say that your baby has a preference for your left breast, and as a result, that breast is overflowing. You are expressing milk from that side so that he can latch on without choking... am I correct?
    In addition, you would also like to increase your supply on the right side?

warmly,
    LLLnormaR

Yes sounds like you have everything correct. I actually thought I got rid of the issue to only have it happen again when I got mastitis for the second time. I find it strange I had the mastitis in the left breast and while I still have some infection he still prefers it.

Sheena, did you ever resolve this issue? I have a four month old and she has preferred the right breast for over a month now. I ran into a low supply issue this past week(what stress!!) and now things are looking up, but my left breast makes very little milk. I'm concerned that this is going to cause another supply issue, and I don't want to go through that again!! How did you deal with it, and are things better now?

Yes I did finally resolve the issue, mind you it took alot of patience to do it. It was actually quite simple after the first two days. When I nursed I nursed the non favoured side if ds would take it till he came off, then nursed the other side for abit not long though then switched back to the non favoured side again. When ds wouldn't nurse the non favoured side I started with favoured side till I felt the let down in the opposite side. Then that's when I would unlatch and switch. If you don't feel the let down wait to you hear dc doing the slow sucking and then switch another sign that let down as occured. It took me about two weeks to get back to normal meaning only nursing one side at a time. Now well I have a over supply issue in both breast once again and that's normal for me. Or at least I suffered it with my two previous bf children. If you do notice the green poop coming just ignore it, once least favoured breast slows down production issue will resolve. Hope that helps let me know how it goes. Just keep trying you will win this battle. I never pumped at all just nursed through it all.

Thank you for your reply! I have been trying what you recommended on and off for a week or so, but now I will be more diligent, since it worked for you. I have had to resort to pumping as my entire supply got very low and baby is in 10% for weight. Right now I'm pumping after almost every feeding.

The good news is I took her to the pediatrician and she gained almost 9oz. in the last ten days, which is a lot for her. I'm hoping she'll continue to get her weight up. Her length and head cir. are fine, well above 50%, so that's good, and she's thriving in every area.

I know I might not get them to ever even out in production, but it's to the point where my baby will hardly bf on left side at all, which is scary since I just had that production issue.

Thanks again for your reply!!

If you find you need to pump go for it. Something else that I'm trying now that ds will latch on while I'm sleeping so I don't even get up I nurse the side that's least favoured cause my left breast will always produce more. Hey even if you get it to where you produce the same amount in each breast so your nursing both breast at same time. Cause to get to that point it's can be easily accomplished. It's getting to where you nurse one side at each feeding is quite hard I worked so hard for that. Hope to continue hearing all is going good for you.