Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bottle Strike: Need help

Question Bottle Strike: Need help

I am in need of advice. My son will be 7 months old next week. I work full time and pump while at work. We started solids (cereals, fruits and veggies) at 4 months by advice from pediatrician (another topic I am not real happy about ). He was doing really well I would nurse him before feedings or if he was at daycare then the daycare provider would feed him a bottle of expressed milk before feedings. She would also feed him the bottles normally because I made it very clear that I didn't want the solids replacing his bottle feedings. All was good until about 3 weeks ago....

My son all of a sudden stopped taking bottles from anyone (daycare provider, his dad, grandparents). All he wanted/wants to do is nurse. I got really scared at first and left work, I took off 3 days to stay home with him and feed him because I was scared that he wasn't eating. Now of course I cant stay home with him I had to return to work. For the past three weeks the most milk he will take at daycare is 1/2 oz. to an 1 oz (if I am lucky) for a span of 9 1/2 hours. He is still eating the solids just fine. But when I get to the daycare to pick him up he lunges for me and starts sucking my cheeks or chin.. When we get home I nurse him and I end up nursing him all evening and night, as he is now waking up several times through the night now wanting to nurse.

We have tried changing the bottles, the nipples, even sippy cups. We won't take anything from anyone. He only wants to nurse.. Now I have heard of babies self weaning but I haven't heard anything on babies weaning themselves from the bottle. Please help... I am out of ideas and don't know what to do.

Default Re: Bottle Strike: Need help

It sounds as thought your baby has figured out what is coined "reverse-cycle feeding". This article (paragraph 2) explains it a bit http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...Nov01p101.html

And here is a pertinent thread from a while back here in the forums: http://www.lalecheleague.org/vbullet...=reverse-cycle

Default Re: Bottle Strike: Need help

I went through a heavy duty bottle strike a month ago when I went back to work and I was beside myself. My daughter remained vigilant to her strike until week 3. We also heard the trying different nipples, bottles etc. The Dr. has also suggested feeding her with a syringe or spoon if she didn't let up. After everything anded up buying the breastbottle and it helped her turn the corner. It's a little difficult to use, but the feeling for her was closest to mom. They also had us bottlefeed her even when I was home - so long as someone else did it. I know it's a lot easier said until done. Good Luck!