Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Time between feeding

Question Time between feeding

Once a day, my 7week old baby girl goes about 6 hours between feeding. This is great, but it's usually between 6pm and midnight. Does anyone know how I can change her 6 hour stretch to midnight and 6am?

Default Re: Time between feeding

Hi there!

Have you tried waking her for a feed right before you go to bed? I coslept with my DD so I would rouse her getting into bed enough for her to want to nurse, and then she'd do her longer stretch while I was catching some zzzs.

If she's sleepy you could start by changing her diaper (not a bad idea if you are trying to settle in for a longer stretch anyway) and then nurse her afterward.

Good luck!

Default Re: Time between feeding

Diane, you are LUCKY! Don't go trying to change anything. It seems to be the norm that baby sleeps well for the first stretch and then really sporatic for the second stretch. I spent several weeks trying to figure out what would make my son sleep better after his midnight diaper change, and it just doesn't work.

You just have to wait until baby matures a bit more. Six hours is very good. I only get about three. Baby will sleep longer and longer.