Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Go with the flow??

Question Go with the flow??

I have read the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. My baby and I don't fit into any catagory!! We are doing wonderful at breastfeeding- but I want her to eat more at one sitting and space the feedings out. Right now she eats for about 10-15 minutes on one side and is done, the next feeding will be sometimes 20 minutes- an hour and a half to 3 hours later. I have done everything the book says, take her clothes off, change her diaper, ect. She is just never interested in the other breast.
    Could eatting 10-15 minutes on one side be enough for my 6 weeks baby? As she gets older will she naturally eat more and less often?? Am I stressing for no reason...I keep telling myself she is only 6 weeks old.

Default Re: Go with the flow??

Is your baby having a normal amount of wet/poopy diapers? Is your baby gaining normally? If so, I would say that your baby knows what is best for them; my daughter would nurse very erratically for the first few months, but eventually they start to want to learn about the world, and don't nurse as frequently anymore. I know it is hard to anticipate when your baby will eat, but let your baby eat when they want to; they know what they need for their growing bodies!
    This too shall pass!

also, i forgot! Her stomach is very small right now, she may only be able to handle one breast at a time. My daughter rarely takes both breasts, and she is 11 months old! The only time she does is right before bed at night. hope this helps!

Yeah, these babies just don't do quite what you'd like them to. They sleep a lot, so why can't it be all at once? Don't fret, baby will calm down eventually. Best to let her do what she wants, if she has plenty of wet and dirty diapers.