Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Water While Breastfeeding

Default Water While Breastfeeding

My daughter is now over a year, but she has never taken a bottle. Since she always refused the bottle, getting her to drink from a cup was near impossible. She would drink from our glasses, but she would never drink from a sippy cup.

Now, she finally mastered the sippy cup. I am so excited. But, she wants to carry it with her and drink everywhere she goes. From 5:00 until bedtime at 8:00, she drank 22 oz of water. Is this to much?

Although I am not forcing weaning, I would like to nudge her in that direction. At this age, how much milk and/or water should they drink?

Default Re: Water While Breastfeeding

It's never necessary for anyone to drink non-human milk, regardless of their age. We do, however need water. So it's great that your daughter is developing a taste for water. Just one question though -- Did all that water interfere with her appetite? If not, then it's okay to allow her to drink that much. I'd just be cautious and make sure that it's not filling her up and making her not want to eat other nutritious foods, including breastmilk.

Edited to add this link -- not an approved LLL site: ALL ABOUT WATER from Ask Dr. Sears website

She didn't nurse as much as usual, but she is over a year. I would like to nudge her in the direction of weaning anyway. But, she ate all of her dinner which consisted of half a chicken breast and brocolli. She later had her snack of half a plumb. So, her appetite was normal. She did bf to sleep as usual and woke up several times during the night to bf.

So, I guess drinking lots of water is ok. She won't drink fruit juice, only water. When they are young, this could lead to health problems. Do these issues go away when they are older?

When they are young, this could lead to health problems. Do these issues go away when they are older?
    What are you talking about, exactly? What leads to health problems? I apologize for the question - I'm just not sure what you are asking

Water is better for her than fruit juice. So if the water isn't interfering with her appetite then there's no reason to stop her. Water is good for her. Of course, you want to watch for excessive water intake. I'm not quite sure what that is for a toddler so you may want to discuss it with your pediatrician.

I'm sorry, that was vague. I thought when babies are young, water could lead to health issues (water intoxification, I think?) Are the same concerns present for toddlers?

OK, right. Prior to age 1 it's not recommended to give breastfed babies water because they simply do not need it. Or if it is given, it's suggested that it be given in small amounts once baby starts solids but it's usually never necessary. It fills babies up and they really need to take in breastmilk -- something with nutritional value It's not so much of a concern once baby is older though. But there are instances when extremely large volumes of water can be dangerous. Again, not sure what volume that is, just that it is very large.

I suspect that your daughter's obsession with sippy cups will be short-lived