Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dentist wants me to wean!!!

Default Re: dentist wants me to wean!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nola View Post
    I am saying all this because I don't think its necessarily the breastmilk that is doing it- maybe some kids are more suseptible like PP's said.
    I totally agree. DS1 has horrible teeth and he was only breastfed to 9 months. I decided not to get any of the work done on them because they would of had to put him out to do it. Also, he was already 3 when it started. He is 5 now and I just remind myself that they will fall out soon and it isn't bothering him. They haven't gotten much worse in the past few years.

My sister, not breastfed, had the same kind of teeth when she was a baby, the dentist called them chalk. She now has perfect teeth and she hasn't had any dentist work other than cleanings. I hope DS takes after his auntie.
    Amanda Wife to my wonderful husband 06_98
    Breastfeeding, Sling Wearing, Co-sleeping, Cloth Diapering Mom to my Intact Boys
    DS #1 - 02_02 BF'ed for 9 Months and
    DS #2 - 10_06 Currently BF'ed 22 Months and still going.

paruparo22-
    Just wondering how everything is going? Did you get another opinion?

I haven't gotten my daughter to the dentist yet. Her teeth look great, but I do wonder about it sometimes. It's never been a big influence on the way I've nursed her. I'd never totally wean for only that reason.

Starting at almost 2, I was able to nurse my child, brush her teeth, give a drink of water, then put her in bed. I'd then read her a story and end with a foot or back rub. The transition was easier than I thought.. I'd tell her what was next and made sure she got to nurse before she was sleepy (otherwise she just fell asleep on the couch, and there were plenty of nights where that happened - oh well!), but at two they are so verbal that it helped to warn her for a day or two and then just change the rules. I moved nursing to the couch. At that point she still woke to nurse, and we nightweaned later, which was not pretty.

I think many people think nursing is similar to bottle feeding to sleep and it isn't. But I did tell my dd that it would be better for her teeth if she could go to sleep without washing all the toothpaste away, which is true. But that has nothing to do with STOPPING nursing.
    Every month will bring another reason that you are supposed to wean. It's really hard because some come from professionals or loved ones. Weaning really only works well if either mom or baby wants to do it. If you do, it will be easier to drop the bedtime nursing if you want to once it's been moved to earlier in the bedtime routine.

my s-i-l has three kids and her oldest has horrible teeth. the dentist said that her enamel is like powder. They said that it was caused by an antibiotic she was on when the teeth developed. I know my brother had bad teeth as a kid and it was due to a medication they gave my mother during pregnancy. I figure they are just baby teeth now anyways.. .and look at all the calcium they're getting from BM for the development of their adult teeth. I'd get a second opinion. There are so many things that can affect teeth. My sister's s-i-l is a dentist and BF her youngest one to 2 years old when he self-weaned if that helps!

Hi - just happened to be looking around this site - I am a grandma, with a newborn grandson . I nursed my own son till he was 2 1/2 and then decided to wean him. His teeth never suffered. Just FYI, I did it w/o making a big deal of it. Every night we would read books and then nurse - I just stopped offering the nursing part, and he seemed to be ready to stop because he never "asked" for it - or - if he did I probably let him. It was the not offering part that did it, I think - he soon sort of forgot about it. We still did lots of cuddling and all that. I felt sort of sad, but felt it was time, I guess. Now he's 25 with a son of his own!

I am trying to spread the word about the little-known cause of my 2 year-old son's dental caries, Celiac Disease.

At my request, after having researched causes for his weak tooth enamel, along with his other symptoms, my son was tested and found to be positive for Celiac Disease. This is a fairly common and underdiagnosed disease in which gluten found in wheat, rye, barley and oats is perceived by the body to be an invader and attacked in the small intestine. This causes damage to the small intestine and can severely limit absorption of nutrients, including those required for healthy teeth! There are many and varied symptoms but my son's symptoms, aside from dental caries, were night-waking due to tummy pain, poor weight gain, unexplained anemia, pale skin, on the low end of normal speech development, not very active, slight skin rash on cheek, white bumps on inside of cheek. I always had the feeling that something was not right with him and was continually researching on my own to try to find the source of his problems.

Celiac disease can be difficult to diagnose and has been termed a 'hidden epidemic'. It is estimated that 1 in 133 or 2.5 million people in the U.S. has the disease, but only 80,000 have been diagnosed. Left untreated, celiac disease can lead to intestinal cancer, unexplained infertility, miscarriage, down syndrome, neurologic disorders including depression and autism, and many other conditions.

After putting my son on a gluten-free diet on Feb. 25th of this year, we saw drastic improvement within 8 days, making HUGE strides in his speech and activity level. Now, 4 weeks later, he has gone from about 50 words and only a couple of two word sentences, to now, literally repeating everything I say and saying 6-8 word sentences, singing the abc song and counting to 10! He now runs everywhere like a 2 year old should instead of rarely running and previously acting somewhat tired.

Before getting the celiac disease diagnosis, we were able to successfully arrest the spread of the dental caries by taking the steps I've outlined below. It was in September of last year that he was diagnosed with dental caries at 19 months old. I noticed white spots on his teeth and some chipping which actually started around 12 months. When I started noticing some darker spots, I took him to the first dentist who said his dental caries was very extensive and 6 out of 8 of his top teeth had cavities and wanted to cap 3 (two of which would have to be silver color as they don't make tooth color caps for back teeth) all under general anesthesia. I know capping involves grinding down the tooth to a fine point and at this age they select a replacement that is 'close' to his. I was opposed to the general anesthesia and I did not want to see his beautiful natural smile changed if it wasn't absolutely necessary. It was on my third dentist that I found one who was much more conservative, who said the decay was not that bad, was able to fill them in two 15-20 minute visits, no general anesthesia, no caps, and no papoose, which I was also opposed to. My son cried when the first two dentists just examined him for a couple of minutes, did not cry at all when initially examined by dentist #3, and only cried a little toward the end of the actual procedure. I don't like to have him cry at all but this was a small trade-off in light of the alternatives.

Prior to finally reaching the Celiac diagnosis I took the following steps to alleviate the spread of the caries.

1. I did NOT stop night feeding, which was implicated by dentist #1 & #2. I was sure that this was not the cause of his decay. Their logic was that it was only his top teeth so it had to be the nightfeeding. I was taken back by that logic at first because it did make sense. But after thinking it through, I thought possibly the breastmilk was acting as a catalyst for other food that might be left in his mouth. This would occur throughout the day since I was brushing his teeth at night and in the morning. I began brushing after every meal or snack during the day. I did not brush or wipe his teeth after nightfeeding as recommended by the first two dentists, as I just did not believe that to be the source of the problem.

2. I started him on cod liver oil, highly purified, from our local health food store. He actually liked the flavor (natural strawberry added) so it wasn't difficult.

3. I researched the cause of dental caries and found that Xylitol, a natural sweetener, fights the germs that cause them. So I started brushing his teeth with a toothpaste (Oral B Stages) containing Xylitol to kill the bacteria.

4. I learned that transfer of adult bacteria, via spoon-sharing, etc. is what introduces the bacteria into the child's mouth. I stopped sharing water bottles, eating utensils, etc. I also started brushing myself with Tom's toothpaste containing Xylitol.

These actions really seemed to arrest the spread of the dental caries which, at one time, I felt was spreading at a very fast rate.

One would not expect that dental problems could have led us to the diagnosis of a disease that was causing the other symptoms my dear son was experiencing. Had we viewed his dental issues as a problem in and of itself, caused by the nursing that we have thrived on for 2 plus years (and counting), we would have missed the diagnosis of Celiac Disease that would have caused him life-long problems.

I encourage you to investigate the possibility of Celiac Disease even if you only have a diagnosis of 'weak enamel'. It only requires a blood test to find out. Although a follow-up test, an endoscopy (again under general anesthesia) is suggested by doctors, we decided against it as we felt the blood test was proof enough, along with the improvement we had seen on the gluten-free diet, and endoscopy at 2 years old is commonly not definitive. Celiac Disease is an inheritable, genetic, disorder, so if there is a positive diagnosis in your child, other family members should also be tested. Here are some links for more information: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000233.htm
    http://www.gluten.net/advocacy.htm

Diane P.