Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dentist wants me to wean!!!

Unhappy dentist wants me to wean!!!

My daughter is almost 2 1/2 and I nurse her 2 times a day (naptime and bedtime).

A couple of weeks ago, we took her to the dentist because I saw brown spots on both of her molars. We also noticed that she has a small hole in between front teeth. Her dentist said that she has cavities and strongly suggested that I stop nursing. Since my daughter does not eat sweets and she also doesn't drink much juice, she alluded that my breastmilk is the culprit of her cavities! Her dentist also said that my daughter's enamel was weak andg she has deep grooves on her molars that milk can get stuck there. As for the hole on her front tooth, her dentist said that the milk collects on her front teeth when she falls asleep. Is this all true?

I am extremely sad that I have to wean her!! My husband tried to put her to bed today and he was unsuccessful. I left and ran many errands to give her time to sleep and after 3 hours, she could not sleep. I nursed her to sleep and purposely pulled out after about 5 minutes and she cried bloody murder and finally fell asleep.

Does anyone have any advice for me on how to wean her?

Thanks!

Stephanie

Default Re: dentist wants me to wean!!!

I have never heard of a mother's milk causing cavities. I would definitely get a second opinion. It could be that your daughter's weak enamel is from lack of calcium, vitamins, minerals, etc and has nothing to do with your breastmilk. A friend of mine has twins and one twin was MUCH bigger than the other. The smaller twin has enamel problems (teeth were breaking and chipping apart) and finally got surgery to fix the problem.

Get a second opinion and research the alternatives. Cavities are not JUST caused by "sitting milk".

I would particularly recommend the fourth link posted above in andrea_ohio's post. It is the most recent and has in depth information about new studies on early childhood cavities and their relationship to breastfeeding.

This must be really stressful for all of you! It's not easy to face dental work in a toddler/preschooler. There is a lot of information out there, so it may help for you to read up a bit on some current research (thanks for the links above, Andrea) and the experiences of others. This is an interesting article, too. http://www.llli.org/NB/NBSepOct05p211a.html
    If you type in a search on the forums here for either "caries" &/or "cavities", you will find many other threads that talk about dental issues as well. A second opinion may help, too, if there are other dentists in your area.
    Keep us posted!]
    Mary

On this subject my 2 1/2 year old still nurses, and twice a day we brush her teeth with a floride free paste. How does everyone feel about sugar free candy. My older daughter has a problem with enzymes, and enamil, her dentist said to let her chew sugar free gum to help her make more spit to rinse her mouth better. My younger daugher loves lolly pops ever since Holloween, I swear she has them stashed throughout the house and finds them when ever she needs her sugar fix. So what if I bought a bag of sugar free lolly pops and gave her those. Thats not bad for the teeth...right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hbsmomma View Post
    On this subject my 2 1/2 year old still nurses, and twice a day we brush her teeth with a floride free paste. How does everyone feel about sugar free candy. My older daughter has a problem with enzymes, and enamil, her dentist said to let her chew sugar free gum to help her make more spit to rinse her mouth better. My younger daugher loves lolly pops ever since Holloween, I swear she has them stashed throughout the house and finds them when ever she needs her sugar fix. So what if I bought a bag of sugar free lolly pops and gave her those. Thats not bad for the teeth...right?
    IMO, i am NOT a fan of those artificial sweetners. they have been linked to cancer and stomach problems.

you should read the book mothering your nusing toddler. It talks a good bit in there about moms who have been in your same situation and did not have to wean

Smile Re: dentist wants me to wean!!!

I am in a similar situation with my 20 mo old daughter. Her father's side does have a history of soft teeth. DD's two front teeth came in with white spots on the ends. As they continued to come in the spots became holes. They both look like they've been chipped. When I took her to the dentist at 18 mo. they also suggested night weaning (obviously they've never tried it). But she also told me to get Gelkam (I think that is how it's spelled). It is not a perscription but your pharmasists might have to order it. We brush her teeth and then use a Q-tip to put the gelkam on the spots and then she can't eat or drink anything for 30 mins. So far I think it's helping. We go back to the denist this Thursday so I'll let you know.
    Anyway, I try to remind myself that they are baby teeth and will fall out eventually.
    For nightweaning we just started saying night night to the "ninnys". We talk about it before she nurses for the last time at night. She nurses from one side and then kisses that "ninny" goodnight and then nurses from the other side to fall asleep. When she wakes up in the night and asks again to nurse I remind her that the "ninnys" are sleeping till morning and usually have to walk with her to get her back to sleep. It is getting much better. I do let her nurse again any time that she wakes up after 3am.
    Sorry I went so long but I hope it helps. Good luck.

I recently talked to someone whose daughter is nursing and is 2. She has teeth decay as well. She is not going to wean her. They do have to do some repairs though to the teeth. Another one of her children also had the same thing. Her adult teeth are fine- she is about 10 I think. The other kids in the family have never had issues. All were extended breastfed. I am saying all this because I don't think its necessarily the breastmilk that is doing it- maybe some kids are more suseptible like PP's said.