Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re: Clogged milk duct?

Default Re: Clogged milk duct?

I had a clogged milk duct at Thanksgiving, and did everything - pumping after soaking & massaging in a bowl of hot water, baths, showers, various nursing posiitons, ibuprofen. The hot, red area and pain went away, but now it's the end of February, and I can still feel the clog on my breast. It's about the size/shape of a grain of rice. Another website recommended pricing the white dot of dried milk on the nipple with a sterlized pin, and I got so desperate that I tried it. So now I get the white dot and either poke it with a pin or tweeze the dried milk away, sometimes getting a spurt of milk - but within a couple of days, it ALWAYS COMES BACK - and the "grain of rice" clog never goes away. I've given up worrying about it, because I must not be getting mastitis if I'm still alive after 3 months. But I notice it more now since the baby sleeps longer at night. Will it ever go away?

Hi there

It does concern me a bit that you've been battling this since November. Have you tried varying nursing positions throughout the day to see if your baby can empty that particular duct a little better for you?

I'd suggest you go see someone in person and ask. LLL Leader (click the link in my signature to find one) or an IBCLC.

I'm sorry I'm not more help!
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I'm curious to know what has become of your problem....I had mastitis with high fever, chills, red hot spot on my breast and of course the lumpiness. Everything has cleared, but the lumpiness. I have no other symptoms, except the lumpiness that is still present a week later. I hate to go to the doctors and don't have health insurance to boot!

It's the same. I still have the little lump and the white dot, which is actually more like a flake of dried milk. I tweeze it away every day, and every day it comes back. I don't vary positions every day, but I do from time to time, and I pump every day so the breast should be emptied. I massage it in the shower and bath - and I take SUPER hot showers, so I'm surprised it hasn't boiled away. I saw my doctor in December about a week after the lump appeared (for my 6 week post-delivery checkup), and he suggested ibuprofen to loosen it up. I tried that for awhile with no luck and occasionally take it for headaches now, and still no luck. I think it's just permanent now. I'm not worried about it, but it's a little frustrating that no one can help me with it.

It is frustrating. The most difficult thing for me is the not knowing what is going on inside there--and what will happen next! I was especially worried that the mastitis would return if the clog didn't resolve, but so far that has not been the case. I have been a frequent flier with the mastitis works at least once, if not twice a month the last five months. But the clogs have always resolved with the resolution of the fever. I can attribute the mastitis to irregular feeding schedules & trying to wean, unsuccessfully I might add, my 18 month old. Now I wonder about breast cancer and this, although mine is not exactly a lump, but feels more like an electrical cord or computer cable and about an inch long. But I really am not that eager to go see a doctor before I absolutely have to. With all the moms that read and post, I find it hard to believe that we are the only two with this experience. Maybe a new post with a different title is in order...the permanently clogged milk duct. Thanks for sharing,

This is directed more towards a moderator/LLL person...
    I think I have a clogged duct, but no lactation consultant or GYN/OB has looked at it (I have my annual appt on 3/18/08 after having my second son 5.5 mo ago). I've had this white pimply thing that is firm on the side of my nipple the last 2-3 months, but I have no problems emptying my breast, no lumpiness or pain, even when I touch the nipple (just the normal sensation of touching your own nipple...lol). There is nothing on my aerola other than those little pimples that have white stuff in them and they are soft. I've taken lecithin here & there the last couple weeks (as a local LLL lactation consultant thru my first son's delivery hospital told me over the phone), but not consistently. How long does the lecithin take to help clear it away? She had also suggesting the soaking or really hot showers, but I haven't gotten around to trying that. However, it does seem to be getting bigger. I wish I could find a picture online of a clogged duck and/or what I have, which doesn't seem to be clogged duct. It's more like milk is trapped under a thin layer of nipple skin/tissue that's on top of a milk opening. I never had any issues with my first son that I nursed for over 18 mos. Hopefully my OB can provide some answers, but they generally don't deal with those issues unless there's an infection.
    Any advice or help (or pictures) is greatly appreciated...or if I could send the moderator a picture of this thing. thanks.

Hi there,

I too suffer from "chronic" plugged milk ducts. I have had Mastitis several times and it seems to moslty affect my left breast. I have had frequent bouts of plugged ducts and I have one right now. I feed my baby often and so i know i am doing good in that respect so anyway, i too have a really painful little sore on the end of my nipple and it first appeared about 5 months or so ago, during an episode of Mastitis and it looks like a little white opaque spot. It looks like skin has covered a white thing underneath. I did some research on this and read that it could be a bleb or milk blister. It said you could try to uncover the skin covering with a sterilized needle. I did this(i don't recommend you doing this unless a doctor is supervising), and there wasn't any dried milk or anything, under that (which is what i was hoping for), but it was just flesh. So, I went to the doctor, he gave me antibiotics, told me not to poke at it anymore, and the masitis cleared up just fine, but that little problem spot has remained ever since (since aobut August 2007). Every so often i will get a hard lump in the same area on my breast and right now i feel a hard ball under the nipple on my areola. i went to the doctor about that painful little spot on the tip of my nipple last week and all she said that it was not an infection, and that it did not look like a tumor. All she said was that maybe it is because milk flow/production is not as good on that side and that my baby could be sucking harder on that side and causing a blister on my nipple. She recommended using oil of evening primrose. I haven't tried that. But, i decided to do some more research and i read that ultrasound therapy can be used for recurring plugged ducts! And maybe that will help that little spot to go away if there is better milk flow and no more plugged ducts underneath. Here is the link to that article. http://pediatrics.about.com/od/breas...a/mastitis.htm YAY! I am going to ask my doctor about that. and as for a picture you mentioned above...here is a link i found that shows a little white spot in the nipple. This looks a lot like what i have. maybe this is what you are talking about too. http://www.mother-2-mother.com/nippl...tm#MilkBlister
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html
    Well i hope this helps! Let me know what happens.
    Last edited by Rimal; March 16th, 2008 at 12:03 AM. Reason: mispellings

Default Re: Clogged milk duct?-->Milk Blister

Rimal-thank you for your reply and the links. When I clicked on the first link from the pediatrics/mastitis topic, the last part of the last sentence in the first paragraph about cracked nipples and whether they get mastitis or not reminded me of something...during the 1st or 2nd day of my 2nd son being born, I got a small crack (appeared & bled a little during pumping attempts to get my milk in faster) in the very spot that this milk blister is in. And your second link of the picture of a milk blister is exactly what I have, but the weird thing is that I don't have any pain while nursing or pumping (the link says pain is very usual)...sometimes I feel a moderate pain all of a sudden, but it's more like a streak of pain along the side of my breast. Hopefully today I'll try the hot compress & then nursing technique to see if it opens it...the thought of piercing it with a needle is much worse then my memory of the epidural injection during labor of my 1st son. If that doesn't work, maybe my OB can do something with it in two days when I go for my annual GYN appt. Thanks again.

Default HELP not nursing any more Re: Clogged milk duct?

This may be a complete string of coincidences, but I stopped nursing my baby 2 months ago, last week of Feb 2009, he was 8 months old. I had started to develop a white spot on the nipple that i had ignored because i thought it was a sore and assumed it would go away when he was done. After a couple weeks of it still being there i picked at it with a safety pin and squeezed out a ton of dried milk, my assumption, and eventually got it all out so that my nipple went back to normal. Then today, I start my period, only the 4th one since baby was born, and my breast is so swollen and sore it's very hard to concentrate. It just sort of felt like being engorged so i tried expressing and in fact some liquid is coming out. Mind you I haven't done this in over two months. Also, I held a 7-week-old baby today and wondered if hormones could actually get me going again, but more importantly what I have expressed after getting it started is a greenish yellow color and not at all healthy looking. Guessing i've had a clogged duct all this time, but wondering if it's still the right treatment to pump since I haven't done in it in so long seems wierd.

anyone recieve instructions or read something like this happening AFTER you're all done nursing?

So sorry to hear about all the difficulties with clogged ducts, and ones that continue to recur. I would give the evening primrose a try, as the one doctor suggested. I have read that it can be used to help treat mastitis, so it would make sense to use in this case as well. EPO is helpful for women with a variety of hormone related issues, and it just might help for this. I would definitely make sure to clear it with your OB and/or pediatrician first if you try it while nursing, but I would think it's ok if it is recommended for mastitis (always better to be safe than sorry though).