Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast not emptying

Default Breast not emptying

I pump using the medela classica at work and then I have a PIS at home. I seem to only be able to get about 4-5 ounces at work and generally just 3 ounces at home for a missed feeding. I am barely pumping enough up to send to daycare for my 3 month old. My problem is I notice that my breast never seem to empty completely. They always feel like they have at least another ounce or so in them. I need some suggestion on how to help my breast to empty completely. Thanks

Default Re: Breast not emptying

How frequently are you able to pump? How many total ounces are you sending to daycare?

As for getting more milk, you could try breast compressions or some of the tips for assisting MER (letdown) found here: http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

I have to pump full breat 2-3 times a day, plus on weekends and evenings to make up for what is lacking. I have to send two 4-5 ounce bottles to daycare and leave one 4 ounce botttle with my husband to give before taking the baby to daycare. I would like to send a third bottle (just incase he needs it) to daycare but generally don't have enough. I have to be at work very early so there is no way for me to feed him prior to going to daycare.

I went through a similar situation with the Medela pump too and I did a lot of breast compressions and was still just barely getting enough milk.

Maybe you could try doing a series of short pumps to get a full let down and then set it for slower pumps. That helped me a bit.

Another option (the one I eventually went with) is to switch pumps. I bought the Avent IQ DUO and it honestly made all the difference. It's a double electric pump, but you start out by pumping manually then press a button on the handle and the pump memorizes the exact speed and suction you were using and mimics it. It also has let down cushions in it which really help me. It's pricey, but it has been worth it for me.
    Hope this helps..

It looks like you're getting some good feedback here, I'd just like to reinforce that the normal lactating breast does not ever technically "empty" because it is always making milk. Once your milk supply is well-established, you will always be able to express more, even if it's a slower flow, there will still be milk.