Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much should come out at once?

Default How much should come out at once?

Can anyone tell me, on an average, out of the numerous holes in the areola where milk gets released from, how many should be in use at any given time (on an average, of course)? Just curious if most people see milk spraying out of several holes simultaneously, or one at a time, or what. Cause I've noticed that mine only comes out of one or two at a time and I think that is contributing to why my baby is so darn frustrated at the breast.

Thanks
    Lisa

Default Re: How much should come out at once?

Wow-- interesting question . I can only speak for myself, of course, but For me it varies. These days when I pump, it usually comes out of a bunch of holes at once for some of the time I am pumping, and just one or two holes for some of the time, especially at the beginning and the end. But that is when I pump at work, away from baby. If I remember it right, it seems like before I went back to work and I would pump after a feeding, it would be much slower, and rarely involved more than a couple streams at a time. Sometimes I was lucky to get drips. So I think that it just really depends on how full you are, how comfortable you are with pumping, and I am sure it varies person by person, too.

Default Re: How much should come out at once?

I think that varies from woman to woman, and even feeding to feeding in the same woman. <shrug>

Maybe someone here could help with your questions about your baby's fussiness?