Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Unconsolable crying question

Default Unconsolable crying question

I have a question.

Twice this week my DD has become unconsolable.

There are only two observations that I find puzzling...

1. Even when I put her to the breast even if just to comfort suck, she screams and screams refusing to suck or even play.

2. While not completely content vertically, when laid on her back she screams bloody murder.

These do not however seem to be permanent situations.

Could they be caused by indigestion? reflux? anything else? I'm at a loss. She receives nothing but breastmilk.
    thx

Katherine - typing one-handed as she has finally calmed (or just exhausted herself) enough to sleep and comfort suck. I'm pooped.

Default Re: Unconsolable crying question

My son acted this way when he had an ear infection at 7 months. We had one fussy day and one absolutely miserable inconsolable night -- took him in the next day and it was his ear. He wasn't running a fever that I remember (he's 4 years old now, so I may have forgotten). But the heartrending screams when placed on his back were definitely something he had never donw before and tipped me off that something was definitely wrong.

The ear pain can be worse with sucking or jaw movement, so that's another symptom in your case that is consistent with an ear infection. Get her looked at. Hope she is back to her happy self very quickly!

--Rebecca

Was it persistant?

DD had a good night until about 5am. She slept well, on her side (we cosleep) and had 3 wet diapers and 1 poopy one. This morning she seems fussy again. Not as bad - she did nurse, just after I struggled with her a bit. Maybe something I ate she tastes in the BM and doesn't like?

We checked, she has no fever.

I'm so confused. DH says he isn't worried, but I can't help worrying.
    Katherine
    DD - Cecilia Bernadette - 1/29/06

DD - Felicity Catherine - 11/19/07
    The Whispering Rose

The Journey of a New Life

Well, since we got him to the doctor after just one day/night of the screaming, we got a prompt diagnosis and started the antibiotics.

An ear infection might resolve without any treatment, or it might have been sorta borderline to begin with and got better again before it got any worse.

Or it might have been something else altogether. If she is now nursing well, making good diapers, sleeping okay, no fever -- then it sounds like whatever was going on yesterday, it isn't going on now.

About the taste of your breastmilk -- I remember a friend telling me she ate really spicy Thai food once when her baby was young, and the baby screamed when he tasted it. So she tasted her milk and it actually was spicy! So, yes, sometimes babies don't like certain flavors coming through mom's milk. But that wouldn't explain inconsolable crying that got worse when placed on her back.

How was she doing through the rest of today?

--Rebecca

DS was increasingly unhappy lying down or even being on his side to nurse. Once he started turning down nursing, I brought him to the ped who suspected reflux. They don't really "test" for it, but will suggest starting a mild reflux med (for us it was Zantac) to see if the fussiness goes away. If it does, then it's assumed DB has reflux. If it doesn't, you start looking for something else. The Zantac was effective within about 24hrs for us. Also the ped can check his ears while you're there to see if that's the problem.

She seems to be improving.

Although....

one thing wierd....

She won't start sucking if I just put the nipple in her mouth. But if I hold it to her nose and just let her know it is there, she opens, I put it in, and she suck to no end. It is almost like she wants to do part of it herself.

She also continues to fuss and cry about gas even though I'd cut out prenatal vitamins, milk, all dairy and almost all soy (there is some in the bit of may I put on my sandwich), all beans, broccoli, cauliflower, chocolate...
    Finally yesterday I bought Mylicon drops (the dye free one - is there a difference?) but haven't used them yet. Do they work quickly or do I have to try to precede the gas?

The reason I wondered about the breastmilk...I realize flavor might account for the crying, but I thought maybe something that caused flavor might cause indigestion or something and account for the crying while laying down? I had Orange Chicken from Cheesecake Factory twice this week and didn't know if that might have made the 2 incidents.

My only other guess is stress (my mother was visiting me this week and she stresses me out). Can stress do anything like this?

I'm so confused. DD and I seemed like we were clicking great last week and this week it seems like we are completely off. Between the crying - at the nipple and on her back, the gas, the difficulty napping during the day, I'm just so confused on what is going on.

She is improving, at least for the time being, though. She still gets fussy and seems to have a harder time staying asleep during the day, but she is nursing better...as long as I don't put the nipple in without telling her it is there first.

Thanks for all your input. This week has just thrown me for such a loop.
    Katherine
    DD - Cecilia Bernadette - 1/29/06

DD - Felicity Catherine - 11/19/07
    The Whispering Rose

The Journey of a New Life