Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: The mom buffet

Red face The mom buffet

My DD feels the need to have both breasts out all the time, so she can go back and forth and back and forth, even at night when she is half asleep! I don't mind most of the time, but sometimes in public it's a little annoying and on days when I'm feeling a little 'touched out' it seems to get to me. She tends to freak out if I say "only one" or "just this side" she SCREAMS "TWO!!" and doesn't settle untill she has both to nurse from....

Anybody else deal with this? I'm not very concerned really, Just wondering when they might grow out of it or tips on handling it in public... TIA!

Default Re: The mom buffet

I know how you feel..(i.e. previous post "am I just a toy?"). I don't know how old your LO is, but ds is almost 14 mo and he loves to have both breasts hanging out, is almost obsessive about it. With him being older, I very seldom have to nurse in public, but when I do I just have to make sure it's somewhere super private b/c he squirms and wiggles and will have a fit if he doesn't have access to both sides. I wish I had some better advice for you, but all I have right now is understanding and compassion. Hang in there!!

Default Re: The mom buffet

Oh, my gosh! I remember my lo going through that when he was about 2 yrs. I can remember saying to him, "You are not going to sit there and just go back and forth." From then on, every time he bf he would look at me with that devilish grin and say, "Back and forth!!" If I would try to contain him to one or the other for a time, he'd begin to SCREAM, "BACK AND FORTH!!" Yes!! He DID grow out of it!! He's 3 1/2 now and still bfs, but he does not have that need to switch like he did. I really think it must be a power thing. After all, even though I have told him repeatedly that the "ats" (that's what we call them) are MINE, he still thoroughly believes they are HIS and there for HIS convenience and HIS comfort!! Which, I suppose is fairly accurate while I AM lactating and he IS breastfeeding!! ha (Does anyone have a different take on that??)
    Just hang in there!!! This too shall pass!
    Susan =)