Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding didn't work before- Can I make it work this time?

Default Breastfeeding didn't work before- Can I make it work this time?

Hi! I am 20 weeks pregnant with my second baby. DD is 10 months old and is bottle fed. I started out breastfeeding. It was difficult and painful since she would nurse for 10-15 minutes VERY vigourously and then be done....until about an hour later and we'd start over. Half the time she would cry and cry and I didn't know what was wrong so we'd feed and then she'd throwup all over. My mom said I should not feed her so often and to try entertaining her when she fussed. That did help because she was just a fussy baby and was not always hungry when I was feeding her she just wanted to suck. I used her pacifier alot. When dd was 3 months old, I began passing out. As far as I have been told, I have hypoglycemia that was not responding to diet changes to try to control it. At 4 months I was told to stop breastfeeding because if I wasn't getting what I needed nutritionally, she might not be either. I stopped bf except once or twice a day until October and then stopped completely. I got pregnant in November and I would really like to try to bf this baby. Does any one have any suggestions? I have since read that bf changes the way your body handles glucose and insulin as does pregnancy. I am wondering- during pregnancy, your blood sugar goes up to ensure that the baby gets fed. After pregnancy, this changes. I don't know how for sure. I had a few problems during the first trimester but I feel better now than I have in a long time (except for the heartburn) . Does any one know how this changes and what I can do to minimize the chances of this happening again? Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Breastfeeding didn't work before- Can I make it work this time?

I have no idea, Angie. But I do know that others have posted similar questions here. Let me see if I can find the thread for you...here ya go:
    http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=1066

Hi Angie,
    Welcome & congratulations on your pregnancy. Let me see if I can help --

It was difficult and painful since she would nurse for 10-15 minutes VERY vigourously and then be done....until about an hour later and we'd start over.
    If it was painful, there was some sort of latch issue. You mentioned that you nursed your baby until she was 4 months old -- was it painful even at that point to nurse her?

It may be helpful for you to know that breastfed babies often only nurse for a few minutes (sometimes 5 minutes or less) and that they nurse very frequently -- sometimes several times an hour. Babies also cry and fuss for any number of reasons, the least of which is anything to do with your breastmilk Some babies do like to comfort nurse and some of them get angry or uncomfortable if they continue to get breastmilk when they're already full. It sounds like you figured that out and handled it appropriately.

if I wasn't getting what I needed nutritionally, she might not be either.
    This is a common misconception. Breastfeeding mother's needn't maintain any sort of special or "perfect" diet. We know that even if mom's diet is insufficient, the quality of her milk is not. Of course, it's always a good idea to eat properly for your own health but poor nutrition in mom won't affect the quality of her breastmilk even in the most malnourished of mother's. Breastmilk remains the perfect food for your baby

I have since read that bf changes the way your body handles glucose and insulin as does pregnancy
    Could you tell us where you remember reading this? I'm going to look into this further but right now I'm unaware of any physiological reasons breastfeeding would change how a woman's body handles glucose and insulin.

during pregnancy, your blood sugar goes up to ensure that the baby gets fed. After pregnancy, this changes. I don't know how for sure.
    I don't know how either. Pregnancy and breastfeeding are really two completely different processes and our expertise here is in breastfeeding so I'm afraid I'm not much help with this.

Did your hypoglycemia disappear after you stopped nursing? Did you only experience it while being a nursing mother?

I'm wondering if it'll even be an issue this next time around.

Looking forward to your response

dd#1 was a terror to nurse... and i ended up quitting when she was 2 months old.

This time I worked very closely with the LLL leader in my area, worked on latching, getting her tongue out in the right place - and with hubby's support - we did it and are going strong 6 months later.

I have learned that every baby is different - right down to the way they eat

Good luck!