Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: very confused please help...

Default very confused please help...

My ds all the sudden wont nurse. He'll root around like a mad man but as soon as I get him to latch he just sits there looking at me. He might suckle a couple of times before he delatches then spits up. If I can get him to nurse he'll immediatly spit up a very large amount of milk. I burp him and most of the time get nothing. He has been a pretty easy bfer with a healthy appetite up until this point. Does he not like the taste? Exess gas? He's refusing ebm as well, even the stuff that I pumped a couple of days ago before this started so I'm thinking its not a tast thing. Any suggestions, I'm exhausted since he isn't really sleeping either. It seems like hes hungry but won't eat so he won't sleep well. sorry if this doesn't make sense I'm working off an hour of sleep.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Default Re: very confused please help...

how old is baby?
    what are babies wet diapars like? That and poops?

baby will be 2 weeks on sat. wet diapers are normal, poops are a little runnier. He's still hitting the target range for both per day.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

sometimes they have growth spurts that cause them to eat round the clock thats the 1st thing that comes to my mind.

are your breast extra full?
    sometimes they have a hard time latching on when they are.
    pumping a little or hand expressing some will help if your hard and baby is having a hard time latching on...
    are you giving bottles?
    some babies have a hard time going between bottle and breast, that can cause them to fuss if they get used to the bottle.

dr sears has a bunch of info on his web site about fussy babies.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/default.asp
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp

heres something about spit up
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T110225.asp
    from that link when not to worry:
    Baby is gaining weight optimally
    Baby is not in colicky abdominal pain
    The spit-up doesn't always shoot out (projectile) a couple feet
    The spitting up is getting less frequent and less volume
    Baby is thriving and acting well