Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Co-Sleeping???

Default Co-Sleeping???

I need some advice. My little one is 4 weeks old thriving well, but here is my dilemma. I am so tired and sleep deprived for his middle of the night feedings, I have tried to put him in bed with us and nurse him while laying down, but my breasts are so big he gets latched on and then when i let go of my breast he falls off and I have to re-latch him again, and I end up getting frusterated and go into the living room to feed him on the couch. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Default Re: Co-Sleeping???

I put a big pillow behind me, put my knees up and sat up to feed DS in bed. I could doze off and he didn't go anywhere. Are you napping during the day? That can really help with the sleep deprevation. It will get better!

Well, I too have to hold my breast to nurse lying down, but I seem to fall asleep holding it--and often wake up holding it....lol. Anyway, on one side I can nurse without holding my breast. When my lo was about 6 weeks old, she was sleeping about 6-7 hours then waking to eat, then would sleep about 2-3 more hours. I was getting up to nurse her at that time. Then I decided that feeding her while lying down might let me get more sleep.. Well, I was wrong she started eating every 1.5-2 hours and continues to do so. I think she wakes up and knows the breast is there so she just wants to eat. I am an all night snack bar. I have thought about getting up to nurse her again, but my bed is sooo much more comfortable. Sorry I didn't give you much advice on what you asked, but your idea of nursing in bed just made me want to share my ordeal. Good luck.

I had the same problem. I'm afraid I don't have much in the way of advice, but at about 3 mos my lo had good enough head control he could keep the latch much better and relatch on his own if needed. I do need to sometimes position a pillow behind me to get the right angle for him, tho.

Have you tried tucking your arm under him or his head? It seems to work for me, but I am only a C.

I think everyone has this problem with newborns. It gets easier as they get older.

Three things to try
    A small towel or a wash cloth, burp cloth or something of the like roller up and placed under your breast for support. (this never helped me but I've heard sseveral other women say it did)

A pillow behind your back, repostion your body--lay more toward your back or tummy.

Scoot baby down. The biggest mistake moms make when tring to nurse in bed is they place baby too high up. (I still do it sometimes.) I find if we're having latch probs in bed if I scooth him down some, it fixes the prob

Hope this helps. And don't worry, they do eventually let you get some sleep. Just keep nusing and make sure you have a good support system

Best of luck
    Sonita

Make sure baby is at boob level, not having to stretch to reach it. Prop him on his side too. It gets better as they get older. We never had problems with this position, and I am now a DDD or F, whatever you want to call it. Proper positioning of the baby is key, not up too high by your head.
    Tammy in MO

I used to have the same prob as TnMommy, one side I held, the other I didn't. Now I gues lo has gotten used to it or something cause I don't have to hold either of them. I do have to prop a pillow behind my back and kind of lean back against it though, and baby rests her head on my upper arm (we sleep this way, except I move the pillow and lay on my back when she's done eating). One warning, though. My shoulder (esp on the side I used to have to hold my boob on) has started hurting. I wake up with it very stiff and can feel it throughout the day. I think I'm gonna have to try moving her to her bed but again I have the same prob as TnMommy- I'm too comfortable!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thank you for all that good advice. I tried it this morning and his positioning was off. I lowered him and proped him on his side, I still had to hold my boob but it was a lot more comfortable than before. It's nice to be relaxed and nurse at the same time.