Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: am i just a toy???

Unhappy am i just a toy???

Okay ds is almost 14 mo and getting more adorable by the day!! I love this age b/c their BIG personalities really start to shine. He is a smiler, a tumbler, a conversationalist, a singer, a pincher, a masseusse, and a twiddler...ALL while nursing!! OMG!! It drives me crazy..can we just NURSE calmly and sweetly, PLEEEAASSEE?! He wants to hold a conversation with everyone in the room (whether we know them or NOT!) while my nipple is perched between his teeth and i'm watching him like a hawk b/c i'm so afraid he's going to chomp down on it!! And he wants to pinch and twiddle my other nipple the entire time too, I can block it, cover it, guard it, whatever and he always finds his way to it!! He sings and giggles and does all the hand movements to songs which is SOOO cute, but he does it all while i'm sitting with both boobs hanging out (only at home obviously) b/c he's "nursing" on one and thinks the other one needs to be ready in case he feels the need to twiddle, pinch, and rub...and of course everyone loves to watch a singing baby!! And his newest antic is seeing if he can turn flips and stand on his head all without breaking his latch!! I'm going nuts!! i love and enjoy BF and the relationship it gives us, but please tell me it's just a phase!!

Default Re: am i just a toy???

I've had the same trouble with my 15 month old dd. She loves to squirm, smile, giggle (once laughed too hard and had milk come out her little nose!), and twiddle with my other side. It has toned down though in the last week or so. I think it's just a phase. She still likes to see how many positions she can contortion herself into and still nurse but now she's stopped messing with my other side so much. She does push my belly button when she's done...I don't know if she thinks it's the off switch or what but she's done that since she discovered I had a belly button! Cute! I really think its just a phase and a part of their little personality coming out. Keep it up! Enjoy the time that they are little!
    Cathy
    Wife for 10 yrs and counting
    Mom of 1 boy (10 yrs), girl (8 yrs), and girl (15mos)

My DS was really into playing while nursing for a while. We've managed to tone it down to peek-a-boo. I think mostly I stopped responding. I was eagerly playing along because it was like a two-fer, nursing and playing. (Between work and my commute we don't get a lot of time together in the evenings.)

I was thinking recently of breaking out the nursing necklace again so DS would have something else to keep his attention. We haven't used it in months but he used to enjoy playing with it.

What the pp said about the off switch is really funny!

It may be a phase, but I think it's a rather long phase. I'm not so much a toy as a lovey. My lo is 17 months. He's taken to pulling my shirt open at the top (I mean WIDE OPEN) and fishing around for them to either hold on to or grab out. On two separate occasions yesterday before he nursed he actually hugged the boob first! My sister chuckled when she saw him nursing over President's day weekend - I had become accustomed to the squirming. She commented that he's trying to maximize the milk flow (I forgot that's part of the reason they are all over the place). Then, I was so embarassed last Sunday; I tried to nurse him at church, which I've done for ages with no problems. He was all over the place (nursing as a full body sport), and of course I knew if I took it away he would scream bloody murder - which he did. He's determine to nurse anywhere we are not realizing that this isn't considered typical toddler behavior. I keep my other side firmly blocked off (which I have since the beginning). He's occasionally broken my defenses but mostly contents himself with my belly button. (my first baby always gave me a free dental exam - I'm sure he'll discover that one soon).

Anyway, for the most part I still think he's cute about it and I'm still determined to make it till he's 2, but this summer will sure be interesting.

Laura
    Last edited by @llli*AllNightDQ; March 1st, 2007 at 01:05 PM.

I think my DD has toned down on the BFing antics somewhat. We do have one special little "game" that we play while she's nursing, which makes no sense really. She rubs her fingers together, then I rub my fingers together, then we touch hands. For some reason she thinks this is funny, and it's relatively low-key so I do it as much as she wants to.
    If she tries to pop on and off repeatedly and isn't really focused on BFing, I usually won't let her. I will tell her that she either needs to BF or not. I have actually covered up a couple of times when she would not listen, so she knows I'm serious. That may seem cruel but I feel it's an appropriate limit.
    Mostly I have gotten some good laughs out of her antics over the past few months. I'm sure I will look back on it and laugh as well.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by mollyb View Post
    I will tell her that she either needs to BF or not.
    I do this all the time. I'll say okay then all done and my lo will hop back on; dh gets such a kick out of it. It's not even close to being cruel. It's communication at its best.

Laura

All these replies are great! Thank you! It's just nice knowing I'm not alone!

The belly button off switch comment was super funny!

Ds also plays with my belly button but only when he is having trouble breaking through my barricades to the other nipple and it doesn't hold his interest for long. He also plays "dentist" while he is nursing...he doesn't do this as much anymore, but he used to pry his little fingers in my mouth no matter how tight I had my lips closed.

I, too, will tell him "mommy is going to put your milk away if you don't nurse" and he will immediately latch back on, like I'm taking away his favorite cookie, but even that becomes a game to him after a while.

It's irritating at best, but when I start to get too frustrated (like when I'm trying to sleep!!) I tell myself that when he is not nursing anymore those are the things I will miss the most!!

Congrats moms on EBF your LO's!!

My son is only 8 mo & already doing this. He'll stop eating to poke & pinch my nipple or dig in my belly button & when I start to stop the feeding session he rushes back to eating. Other times when he's happily eating if I talk he stops & looks at me like "what is wrong with you, can't you see I'm eating!". I can't help but laugh, but he is so cute. It really hurts sometimes though & when I tell him no he laughs like I'm playing a game! I know my son isn't a toddler or anything, but I saw this in passing & had to comment!
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

Oh my word, I was reading the previous comments and laughing almost hysterically, and ruefully and I am wondering if it will be my future. I did want to add, my dd is not a toddler, she is nine mo. but she recently discovered my belly fat, (which I have courtesy of her by the way), and when she finishes nursing, she loves to find it with her tiny cute hands and squeeze it for all she is worth. It is really cute, but it makes me jump when her hands are cold! She also does the dentist thing as well, thankfully I have kept my glasses away for the most part.