Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not Getting Enough?

Default Not Getting Enough?

This has been a battle for a couple of days now. When I bf my 6 week old, she guzzles and drinks for about 30 minutes and my breasts feel less full. WHen she is ready to nurse again, she will suck for a couple of seconds and cry, she will suck again for a couple of seconds and then start crying again, this goes on for 20 minutes. So, I finally give her a bottle and she sucks it down. When it is time for her to nurse again my breasts feel more full and she nurses without crying but at the next feeding she will. Why is it at every other time I nurse her she guzzles but at the other feedings act like she isn't getting anything and takes the bottle. She does prefer to BF, thats for sure. I just don't understand what is going on here and its become frustrated. It doesn't help my left breast is killing me and everytime she lacthes I almost scream. My doctor can't find anything wrong and her latch looks fine.

Default Re: Not Getting Enough?

Are you drinking lots of water, eating well, and getting plenty of rest (like sleeping when baby sleeps)? You could try a BF tea. Try to remember that introducing bottles messes with the amount of milk that you produce. The more bottles you feed, the milk you will produce. The more you BF, the more milk you'll produce.

As for your left breast, do you have a sensitive nipple or where on the breast does it hurt? Maybe lansinoh cream if it's the nipple.

Definately try less bottles and more breast if you can.

I get about 1 meal in a day, just never hungry and I get really nauseated while breastfeeding. The bottom of my nipple is where it hurts the most.
    She was doing great up until a couple of days ago and then started this. Even when I HAD to supplement she never did this.

It sounds to me like it could be that she isn't getting milk fast enough every second time. How much time between feedings? I think supplementing is going to affect your supply. Where and what kind of pain are you having in your left breast? Shooting pains ? Like glass cutting? Only on the nipple? Does the pain diminish as she sucks? Hang in there. It gets beter!
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

don't be afraid to look up your local lll leader shes around to help!
    heres a link pick your city:
    http://www.llli.org/Web/Indiana.html

are you having any fever? That can be a sign of mastitis and thats not good.
    I took any kind of pain as a reason to take baby to bed and just nurse. Get up to go to the bath room and eat only.
    heres a link about breast pain:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/mastitis.html

can we know more about what the pain is like after you look at that link?

None of them really sound like what I have. It is just the bottom of my nipple and the pain will sometimes last the whole feeding and sometimes when she is done guzzling and starts slowing down. Either way when she is done my nipple really hurts for about 30 minutes afterwards. She had a weight check today and her weight has stalled, she hasn't gained much of anything and her doctor is not happy about it. She said Kayleigh is having poor weight gain. She is 6 weeks old and since birth has gained 2lbs, which I think is pretty good. Considering it took forever for my son to gain weight. She said I HAD to start supplementing after every feeding now. Ever since then I have been very annoyed. I really honestly think this breastfeeding isn't going to go smoothly and I REFUSE to give up. The pain is like glass cutting into my nipple.
    What is BF tea? I would like to try that. Maybe she is getting frustrated cause the milk isn't comming out fast enough for her.