Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Taking a baby to a concert?

Default Taking a baby to a concert?

I have a 4 month old that is doing great with breastfeeding but has never taken a bottle. Our family is going to a concert next week, and I really would prefer to just bring her with me and feed her, but I worry about the loud music and her ears. I have a friend that will babysit, but I have only gotten my baby to take a few sips from a sippy cup and she seems to really hate the bottle.

Default Re: Taking a baby to a concert?

Hi. I would definately consider taking the baby with you, depending on where your seats are. How close will you be to the speakers, etc. My daughter was 6 weeks early and we had her home in 2 1/2 weeks. By week 3 we went to a wedding with a very loud band and she slept through it just fine. I as careful to try to keep her ears somewhat covered. Maybe a touque covering the ears, which can be a good idea anyways for temperature control. Hope this helps. And have fun!

they also have this infant ear wax stuff that you can put in thier ears. I went to a "women of faith" conferene when my dd was 4 weeks and the music was definatley to loud for her, but another woman had her baby and she let me have some of this baby ear wax and it worked wonderfully. Sorry I can not remember the name nor where to get it.

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I'd worry about the noise level, although I don't know what type of concert it is or if it is inside or out (probably inside this time of year! )

This information is from the American Speech and Language Association web site:

Both the amount of noise and the length of time you are exposed to the noise determine its ability to damage your hearing. Noise levels are measured in decibels (dB). The higher the decibel level, the louder the noise. Sounds louder than 80 decibels are considered potentially hazardous. The noise chart below gives an idea of average decibel levels for everyday sounds around you.

Painful:

150 dB = rock music peak

140 dB = firearms, air raid siren, jet engine

130 dB = jackhammer

120 dB = jet plane take-off, amplified rock music at 4-6 ft., car stereo,
    106 dB = timpani and bass drum roll
    Ear plugs can reduce noise from 15-30 dB, and cotton balls only 5 dB.

I know when I go to a concert I can feel/hear the effects the next day, and the hardest rock concert I've been to is Bruce Springsteen!
    Last edited by ericsmom; March 1st, 2007 at 01:13 PM.

Whenever I leave DD with my SIL or MIL to babysit, I am constantly worrying about whether or not she will eat for them... and she always does. It's amazing what these little ones will do for others that they won't do for you. Your friend might be able to get your DD to take a sippy or even a bottle. Perhaps she can "practice" a few days before the concert?