Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with Baby not nursing enough! Urgent!

Exclamation Help with Baby not nursing enough! Urgent!

After placing my four week old boy on formula to increase his weight, he is not nursing enough to keep my milk coming in... I am taking a herb, pumping and using a tube to feed but all to no avail!

I want to keep nursing but I want him to gain too, how do I do both without making his dr mad? This is number six for me and I have not experienced this with any of them... Help!!!!!

Default Re: Help with Baby not nursing enough! Urgent!

I don't have experience with not having enough milk but I'd suggest a full day in bed with babe and you. Anytime babe makes a peep, BF. Drink lots of water. Don't drink anything with cafiene in it. BF, BF, BF! At least every hour and a half BF.

Eat oatmeal.

If baby can't BF that frequently, pump the milk and freeze it.

Good luck! Hang in there! Keep trying!

Welcome

It seems you want to keep on trying at breastfeeding and I think that is a good idea!!!
    Well a few numbers may give us a chance to look at the whole situation.

FIrst of all is there an LLL group near you? Sometimes personal help can be such a wonderful thing.

How much was his birth weight?
    How much did he weigh at his lowest point?
    How much does he weigh now?
    How often are you nursing? - Whats his feeding "schedule"?

WHat makes you think you're not making enough?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

How much was his birth weight? 7lb 6 ozs

How much did he weigh at his lowest point? 6lb 13 ozs

How much does he weigh now? 7 lb 10 ozs

How often are you nursing? - As often as he will nurse... or more

Whats his feeding "schedule"? No schedule

WHat makes you think you're not making enough? Not gaining fast enough for his ped dr. I am content to nurse on demand and let gain at will, but they want me to give him 3 ozs of formula after every nursing... I am not doing this by the way

Make sure you are drinking enough. That helped me when my supply fell a little low. How often are you pumping? I was told not to go any more than 3 hours if my supply fell low. Hope this helps.

So you say he has not had formula at all? He is relatively happy/content overall (aside from "normal" baby stuff)?

Well, with the numbers you've provided after entering them into the growth calculator on this site here It seems a little on the "lower" end at about 3-3.5 oz/wk . But there's certainly things you can do to try & increase his weight gain and make sure he is getting enough.

Here's some info on nursing newborns .

Do you know if theres a group near you? You can call a local leader and get help over the phone and sometimes they'll do home visits.

I encourage you to keep baby at the breast and call a LLL leader for sure!

You can do this! It's still pretty early in the game, I would say!!!!!!
    Last edited by Number3; March 1st, 2007 at 12:59 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.