Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clicking Sounds??

Default Re: Clicking Sounds??

My son was born in December, he has always been a very good 'bf'er, altho when he would latch on initially for the first few seconds it would hurt at first but that went away. He still clicks sometimes when he eats and the only thing I came up with is he usually does this when the milk is flowing out quickly and it is hard for him to keep up with. He is growing well and I haven't had problems with sore nipples except for that initial pain the first few weeks, so the clicking has become a normal part for me. I don't know if this helps. Hang in There!!

I want to echo Jessie -- my son started clicking on letdown at about 2 months and at this point (3.5 months) it has become so routine that I use it to help me judge when letdown is happening and how much milk he is getting. I think it's how he deals with my slighly overactive letdown. Otherwise he seems to be thriving and I have no problems with sore nipples. There may be somewhat of an imperfect latch (he has a slightly recessed chin) but in general he has been doing well, covering a good part of the areola, so I'm not worrying about it. Good luck!

Annie

I've had the same experience. At approximately 4 weeks, my DD started to make clicking sounds. This conincided with oversupply on my part, and seems to be her way of coping with the strong, steady flow of milk during letdown. The clicking tends to stop as the milk flow levels out. (I was worried about an improper latch, as well...and I'm glad to hear that others have experienced this!)

Ditto here. Clicking noises started at about 2 months, and I'm pretty sure it's due to my active let down. He's gaining well and such, so I just go with it. It doesn't seem to bother him, and it doesn't hurt me at all. Like you clarkfamily, the clicking seems to stop as the letdown slows down.

Thanks Everyone. That was very helpful. I'm starting to be less concerned about it as I read different posts. I do have an active let down (i think) and other than the clicking and the pain with the initial latch, breastfeeding is getting better. Thank you for the input.

Leslie