Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two month old trying to wean?

Unhappy Two month old trying to wean?

I have a ten week old baby who is having difficulty with nursing. We have encountered more problems than successes I feel. After I got past sore nipples and engorgement, we did great for about 1 1/2 weeks. We discovered at 3 1/2 weeks of age that he has a severe milk allergy. I have eliminated milk from my diet. Things got better after that. I have been through and conquered a shortness of milk. For the last week and a half, my son has been not wanting to nurse. He will latch on and nurse on one side for 6 minutes and no more. The first couple of days I simply pumped the other side and let him be. He was extremely fussy. He would act hungry but refuse to nurse. I finally started giving him the rest in a bottle at the advice of my OB. I would then pump in order to keep my supply up. Today he has refused my breast all day and is also now refusing the bottle. I am not sure what to do. His pediatrician has not really been a lot of help and I am not sure that advice of my OB was right. Does anyone have any advice for me? I am despirit. I am going back to work in 3 weeks and I don't want to give up breast feeding until he is at least a year if I can. I feel like he is trying to wean himself and I dont' know how to stop him. Please help!

Amy

Default Re: Two month old trying to wean?

Well, I am not experienced enough to offer a lot of advice (dd is 3.5 months), but a two month old does not try to wean. This is probably a nursing strike, but I am not sure what would be causing it. In my own personal struggles with breastfeeding (I had a hard time too at first) I have found that OB's and pediatricians are not the ones to go to when you need breastfeeding advice. Have you seen a lactation consultant? I was able to use the LC's at my hospital for no extra charge. Also, contact your local LLL group, they can offer you good advice and may even be able to have someone come to your house.

Hi there,

First off, hugs to you. The first weeks are such a tough time when you're both new to breastfeeding, and it takes time to get your "style" down pat!

It's not likely that a 10 week old baby is trying to wean himself. There are so many reasons a baby could be fussy: over or under active letdown, gassiness, growth spurt, or perhaps he just wants to suck and is frustrated at getting milk.

Here's a good resource which discusses many of those issues: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

This web site also has many other links to source material plus information on tons of breastfeeding topics.

You said your son latches on for 6 minutes. Have you tried weighing him after he finishes nursing? Is he still having plenty of wet/dirty diapers? It may be that he's a very efficient nurser, so I wouldn't worry about the 6 minutes per se unless his output is decreasing or he's not gaining weight.

Another thing to consider is that he wants to suck without getting milk. You might try giving him your pinky and see if he calms down. Or a pacifier if you're not opposed and think he won't become confused. My DD really needed to suck a lot, but was extremely fussy when I tried to get her to comfort nurse. A binky really did the trick. When my letdown was more controllable and she was bigger she was able to give up the binky and use me instead

Good luck!

Oh, and agreed on not taking breastfeeding advice from your OB or pediatrician. These people are medical professionals, but are no more experts on breastfeeding than a podiatrist is an expert on kidney disease. If you can call LLL or see a LC you will get appropriate advice. Many peds keep an LC on staff at the office now.

Sounds like it could be nipple confusion (preference). It took me 2 months, 3 LCs and 2 LLL leaders to help her get back to nursing. This occurs if a baby is introduced to the bottle at to young an age. Eventually, it worked out, but it took a lot of work and tears on both our parts.

Also, OBs and Pediatricians are the last people you should accept bf advice from. My OB tells me at every visit that my life would be so much better if I stopped bf. And, I never told him I was unhappy with it. He just doesn't get why anyone would want to.

I am SO sorry! Your baby is NOT rejecting you!! He is also not weaning. I would check out the KellyMom website like was previously posted. Also would not hurt to spring for a LC visit. Can really be a help. LLL might be able to do that for you too.

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

It also sounds like nipple confusion to me...

Here's a New Beginning article about nipple confusion... You might want to read it to see if anything she wrote sounds familiar...

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBNovDec02p217.html

Babies who are 2 months old don't wean unless they have a preference for something else, namely a bottle... so, I'm guessing that is what is going on. It's "easier" for them to suck from a bottle than from a breast, so they get a little lazy and it gets harder for them to want to bf, if that makes sense...

My advice would be to stop the bottles... just keep positioning him at the breast to nurse. I'd also call your local lactation consultant and LLL leader. You really want someone to check to make sure your latch is okay and that there's nothing else going on with your baby, kwim? So, if you can find a local leader, please make that call asap.

Jacqui

i cannot say i know what is going on but here's my 2 cents worth.

don't listen tot he OB and PED. like someone above said, my OB is always trying to get me to stop and even told me that COW'S milk was ok to give at 6 months!

no more bottles, if there is already a hard time with your baby sucking it out of you, don't make the confusion of the bottle another mixed in situation.

see a lactation consultant or call your la leche league leader...pretty please with cherries on top. get a more professional opinion then us or DRs.

do not stop BFing and do not introduce formula at all, this will make it SO much worse at this time.

talk to someone who knows more about this as soon as you can.
    ~~ Valarie ~~
    wife to matt
    mommy to
    ricky 2.9.03, christian 6.28.05, baby olive due JAN 2008

Unhappy Re: Two month old trying to wean?

Thank you all for the advice. I know my OB and PED are not good people to get advice from and so I listen to what they have to say and do what I want. I contacted a lactation consultant in my area today that I got from my PED and I cannot afford her! How do I get a hold of a LLL leader. I just need someone to talk to. I can't stop bottles altogether. I was only giving him one when I absolutely had to leave him. I didn't introduce them until 4 weeks and that was on the advice of a LC! I have to go back to work in 3 weeks and then I will have no choice. I can stop them all together until then I suppose but once I go back I don't know what I am going to do. I feel like I am fighting everone on the formula issue. My mom (who successfully nurse all 4 of her children and has been totally supportive and helpful) has even recently joined the formula club. Between the fight to figure out why he won't nurse well and the milk allergy that confines me to certain foods, everyone is at their wits end. I DO NOT want to give this up! Please help me find someone who can help!

this site here can help you find the LL leader nearest you.

http://lalecheleague.org/WebIndex.html

go there and start clicking what's closest to you. it's so easy and you can even just give the leader a call first. ((big hugs)) do what you feel is right.
    ~~ Valarie ~~
    wife to matt
    mommy to
    ricky 2.9.03, christian 6.28.05, baby olive due JAN 2008