Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactating after weaning

Question Relactating after weaning

Hello All,

I am so glad I found this site and so many people here that could help me.

My DD (almost 10 months) has been fully weaned now for 2 months. She stopped exclusive breast feeding and started supplements when she was only about 4 months old. Currently, she nurses only when she is almost ready to fall asleep (that too only at nights). My milk supply has dropped to a few drops at a time.

The thing is, she's been falling sick CONSTANTLY ever since she was fully weaned. I want to take up breast feeding again, increasing my milk supply to exclusive breastfeeding levels, to give her an "immunity boost". Is this possible after a gap of almost 6 months? I would be glad to even go back to supplemented levels of 2 months ago, for a start.

I began taking fenugreek supplements and encouraging her to suckle more, but haven't seen enough increase to get her on breast milk exclusively. How long does it take before the fenugreek boosts milk supply? Are there any medications that would help?

Please, any suggestions would help.
    Last edited by SummerRain; March 24th, 2006 at 11:47 PM.

Default Re: Relactating after weaning

Quote Originally Posted by SummerRain
    Hello All,

I am so glad I found this site and so many people here that could help me.

My DD (almost 10 months) has been fully weaned now for 2 months. She stopped exclusive breast feeding and started supplements when she was only about 4 months old. Currently, she nurses only when she is almost ready to fall asleep (that too only at nights). My milk supply has dropped to a few drops at a time.

The thing is, she's been falling sick CONSTANTLY ever since she was fully weaned. I want to take up breast feeding again, increasing my milk supply to exclusive breastfeeding levels, to give her an "immunity boost". Is this possible after a gap of almost 6 months? I would be glad to even go back to supplemented levels of 2 months ago, for a start.

I began taking fenugreek supplements and encouraging her to suckle more, but haven't seen enough increase to get her on breast milk exclusively. How long does it take before the fenugreek boosts milk supply? Are there any medications that would help?

Please, any suggestions would help.
    Yes, there are ways of increasing your supply The most important thing to know is that the more you nurse and/or pump. the more milk you will make.

First, you mentioned that your DD nurses to sleep, but only at night. Could you fool her into thinking it is nighttime when she takes her naps? Maybe you could go to a quiet, dark room, change her into her pjs. etc.

Another thing you could try is to nurse her when she is still half asleep, before she wakes. Many babies who otherwise refuse to nurse, will do so at those times.

Some will even nurse when they are completely asleep. Would you consider nursing her just before you do to bed? Don't wake her, just snuggle close and put her to breast, making expressing a couple of drops to get her started.

One of the things that has helped many mothers is to make sure that they have LOTS of skin-to-skin contact with their babies. This is especially easy to do at night if you are sharing sleep, by leaving your pj jacket open, and keeping your DD in just a diaper.

You might also want to consider pumping.
    Even if it is hard to get your DD back to the breast, she could certainly drink your milk from a cup. The best way to do this is to rent a hospital-grade pump, as this is especially designed to bring back your milk. To bring back a full supply you will need to pump both breasts together for about 15-20 mins, eight times in every 24 hours.

Does your DD use a pacifier or drink from bottles? If so, you can encourage her to get her sucking from you instead, by gradually weaning her from the articifical nipples.

There is a *stickie* post at the top of this forum which has a list of recommended articles. Please take a few moments to check this out as there is some very valuable information there.
    http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=147

Please let us know how you decide to handle this, and how you are getting on.

warmly,
    LLLnormaR