Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it just nipple soreness or thrush?

Unhappy Is it just nipple soreness or thrush?

I am so confused, my lo is 4 weeks old and I have had nipple pain/soreness/cracking since almost day 1. I have a little bit of a burning feeling, but not constantly or consistently and it only hurts for about the first 15 sec. of latch on. Isn't it normal to feel a bit of tingling in the breasts after nursing? I'm not sure if I just feel tingling or burning? I'm afraid I may have made the cracking worse by applying Lansinoh and then wearing a nursing pad creating too much moisture?!?! Could that be the source of the pain still? I don't really see any signs of thrush on my lo; no white patches in his mouth or diaper rash, but he has been pulling off the breast frustrated lately. Please give me advice, I'm really confused, upset, mad, on the verge of giving up b/c of the pain.....

Default Re: Is it just nipple soreness or thrush?

Don't give up, you're right on the verge of everything getting easier!!!

Do your nipples look pink on the ends or have little bumps? That is an indicator of thrush. You may want to try not wearing nursing pads- or anything on your boobs to let them air out as much as possible. I know that is easier said than done, but whether it's thrush or just soreness, it could help.

If you are concerned about the lansinoh, instead you could try rubbing a few drops of breast milk on your nipples after a feed and letting it air dry. It works wonders for me. I haven't used Lansinoh once since I started doing it.

I felt tingly/itching in my boobs after nursing for the first few weeks- I can't remember how long it lasted but my midwife said it was normal in the beginning.

When I had thrush I had sharp pains deep in my breast at random times and my nipple tips would get really irritated/itchy when they sat in a damp bra or nursing pad.

Good luck!!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Hi congrats on your new little one! One thing I learned about nipple soreness is to make sure the baby is latched on and positioned correctly, also if the baby has a really agressive suck that can cause nipple bruising. I used soothies which really helped a lot. I let them get cold in the fridge and then put them in my bra, that made the tingling go away.

I'm going to give you some reading about sore nipples more ideas on soreness and just in case, here's info on thrush with all its spectacular symptoms