Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refusing breast after 5 mins feeding

Question Refusing breast after 5 mins feeding

Hi,

My daughter has been EBF for 5 1/2 months. She is nearly seven months old now. Now, she has a bottle of expressed BM in the morning (3.5-4 ounces) and has rice cereal mixed in BM(1.5-2 ounces) to complete off the meal. Later in the afternoon, I give her 2-3 ounces of banana or apple. She also gets either rice cereal or fruit for dinner. She gets all solid food only after a feeding. She has 6-8 feedings per day.

For the first 2-3 months, she used to feed every 2-3 hrs and spend about 15-20 mins on each breast per feeding. For 3-5 months she used to feed 10-15 mins on each breast. Now for past few weeks, she has been spending only 5 mins each breast and it is getting worse. For the last week or so, she has been frequently stopping after 5 mins in one breast and refuses to take the other breast.

She was born at 8 pounds 6 ounces. She gained pretty well for the first 2-3 months (75th percentile) and then tapered off. She weighed 14 pounds 4 ounces (12th percentile) on her six month checkup. The ped. is not worried about her slow gain. She is also generally a very happy and active baby. She naps 3-4 hrs and sleeps through the night for about 10 hrs.

I'm worried that she is not getting enough milk. Even though I feed her every 2-3 hrs, I'm never sure if she is hungry or not. She does not cry when she is hungry - she starts playing after she wakes up in the morning even though she should be hungry then.

Is she drinking only for 5 mins now since she is not hungry in 2 hrs? Waiting 3-4 hrs also doesn't seem to help much. I dont think she is distracted because I feed her in a quiet room and I'm the only one at home. She just gets off the breast and cries a lot if I try to put her back on. I also tried feeding her every hour a couple of times yesterday and she drank for 5 mins each time. She also drinks for 10 mins each breast if she is sleeping through the feeding. I'm confused by her behavior!

Is there anything I can do to make her drink longer per feeding? Is her behavior a cause for concern?

Thank you. Sorry for the long post

Priya

Default Re: Refusing breast after 5 mins feeding

My dd is a quick nurser as well. She nurses for 5, maybe 10 minutes and is done. She has always done this. She has also only nursed one side per feeding. It has gotten to where she only nurses 4-6 times in a day (some days she will comfort nurse, not often) and she only gets solids MAYBE once a day.
    I know I'm not much help. Just thought I would share.

Perhaps your dd is just becoming more efficient at nursing. How is her output? Is she having enough wet diapers? You say she is generally happy and active. That's a good sign. I don't think that length of time at the breast should be used alone to determine whether a baby is getting enough milk.

Here's an article on the LLL site on infant dehydration:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBNovDec94p184sup.html

Hang in there!
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Her output is pretty good. She poops once or twice a day and I change wet diapers 4-5 times a day. For the past couple of days, I have been paying attention to her diapers and it looks like she is doing ok.

My daughter, too. She's become quite the efficient nurser. She sucks so hard sometimes that my nipple goes numb!!! Both breasts combined, she usually nurses for a total of 5 minutes, occasionally 6-7 and sometimes only 3-4. She gets plenty and my breasts "empty" quickly when she nurses. She's 4 months.